Question SOS - Upgraded some parts, now computer freezes.

Oct 21, 2020
Morning everyone!

Ran into a bit of a snag that's put me on a three week long journey trying to figure this out. Some background, I work as a composer/audio engineer for films, games, and trailers. I saved up enough to buy more RAM which was needed for orchestra samples.

Well, I got the RAM and installed it along with moving my system to a rack mount case to better organize everything. Admittedly, I was a dumb and forgot standoffs during the install for half the MOBO which caused a short and, long story short, after failing to realize the real issue I tried a BIOS update only to have the system turn itself off at 95% complete, bricking itself. It was done with life.

So I had to buy a new board and I went with the Gigabyte z390 Pro Wifi. Successfully made the change, deep cleaned everything as I went along just for maintenance, and the system booted up perfectly. Reinstalled windows 10 and all was well...for about two weeks.

Yesterday I came home from work and the system was having major issues booting. It started with booting into system repair, then when it restarted the Aorus MOBO splash page froze during boot. I got an error message, "Thread Exception Not Handled."

After looking it up I saw one possible issue could be the GPU drivers. So I unmounted the GPU, plugged the HDMI into the MOBO directly, and tried that hoping I would at least be able to get into windows to uninstall the driver. I was able to get in, for about three minutes. Then the display started glitching hardcore. It was a green and pink pixelated nightmare. Should've taken a picture but it didn't cross my mind at the time.

So I shut the system down and let it rest for an hour. Tried it again but this time the MOBO red lights stay on at CPU and flashes between that and DRAM. This happened once before and I just booted it up with one stick of RAM at a time which fixed it. Tried that again but this time, nothing.

It's just one thing after another with this guy. As a recap, it's a brand new MOBO, CPU pins are fine, new RAM, the system runs at about 350 watts using a 550 watt PSU. Here's a list of what's in the system:

Gigabyte z390 Pro Wifi MOBO

Intel i7 8700 CPU

Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim CPU cooler

Corsair Vengeance LPx 64 GB (x2 32) DDR4 3200 RAM
(not QVL but listed as compatible)

Samsung 970 EVO 1tb m.2 nvme SSD

Corsair 120 GB m.2 nvme SSD

SeaGate Barracuda 2tb HDD 7200

Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 Graphics Low Profile

Tiergrade Superspeed 7 ports PCI-E to USB

Corsair RMX 550 watt PSU

Chenbro Rackmount Case

Furman M-8X2 Power Conditioner

x2 Dell 22" Monitors

Troubleshooting ideas:

Here are my thoughts/guesses as to a possible issue -

* Power supply? I've had it only 2 years but sometimes I need to leave my rig on for extended periods of time. Could it be constant usage killed it sooner? I'll be doing the paperclip test later today but if I understand it right that should just power it on, not really tell me if it gives the rig enough power.

* Broken RAM? I'll be trying the old RAM on boot later as well to see if the new RAM is just a bad batch.

* Reseat CPU. Maybe it's just not seated right?

* Double check CPU temp in BIOS

* Remove the USB pcie. Could it be those drivers and not the GPU that's acting up?

* Try again to boot into safe mode and if it doesn't freeze remove gpu drivers.

* Say screw it all and reinstall Windows again. I just reinstalled it so it's not detrimental since I haven't finished reinstalling all my apps/programs.

* Try booting on a different socket. I'm pretty sure I'm dangerously close to the limit of the socket I'm running out of. Just added a 1000 watt sub to the system for 2.1 mixing so maybe it's just that the PSU is fighting for power against that? Not too well versed on electrical knowledge so please correct me if that's flat out wrong.

Other than all of those ideas I'm at a loss. Half the system is new at this point through upgrading and trying to figure this out. Any insight and ideas would be a HUGE help!

tanishq sagar

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2015
Definitely try using your older ram to see if it boots up. All the errors you have stated so far seem to lead up to it. All the possible fixes you've mentioned don't seem to be the cause according to me.

If this fails, there's never really any harm in rebuilding your PC again because you never really know what may be the issue.

* Try booting on a different socket. I'm pretty sure I'm dangerously close to the limit of the socket I'm running out of. Just added a 1000 watt sub to the system for 2.1 mixing so maybe it's just that the PSU is fighting for power against that? Not too well versed on electrical knowledge so please correct me if that's flat out wrong.

I wouldn't worry about this as there are circuit breakers or fuses in modern connections that are buit for this reason.

Reactions: Sean Crone
Oct 21, 2020
Definitely try using your older ram to see if it boots up. All the errors you have stated so far seem to lead up to it. All the possible fixes you've mentioned don't seem to be the cause according to me.

If this fails, there's never really any harm in rebuilding your PC again because you never really know what may be the issue.

I wouldn't worry about this as there are circuit breakers or fuses in modern connections that are buit for this reason.

Thanks! I'll do that first thing after work. Just checked, I have until the 23rd to return it if it's faulty RAM. This was good timing!

Oct 21, 2020
Sorry, I forgot to post an update. Two days ago I tried booting up with my old RAM and it worked with no problems once I reinstalled windows. After reinstalling windows I also tried with the new RAM just to see if I could do a memory test but it wouldn't even load like it did before the reinstall. So it was definitely the RAM and my guess is since I used it for a few weeks prior it corrupted the windows system files preventing a proper windows boot.

So I RMA'd it (with two days left to spare on the return policy ;)) and am using the old RAM now until the replacements arrive. Thanks, Tanishq! :)