Question SotTR on Steam crashes during every gameplay ?

Jan 2, 2022
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
MB: ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Plus
MEM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4-3600
Drive: Western Digital Blue 500 Gb SSD

I started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider before the holidays for about a week on highest settings without issue. Maybe a week ago it began to crash while playing, then crashes within 5 minutes every time I try to play. I've read many posts and videos and can not solve this. It so far seems to be isolated only to this game. I'll try a couple forums, but thought this was a direct community to try first.

This is what I know so far:

• crashes whether direct x 12 checked or not, low or high settings
  • sometimes will suddenly stop and go back to Steam menu, sometimes will reboot system
  • games like Portal2, Witcher3, Res Evil2 on high settings played thru Steam on the same drive have no issues. Games like Forza 5 on max settings played thru Xbox game pass have no issues.
  • I un-overclocked the CPU and GPU to stock, however have stress tested and benchmarked at stock and OC settings with no issues, using Heaven, 3D Mark, and CinebenchR23. Good scores, never fails or overheats.
  • I've gone into various settings on the .exe profile and made sure to update all drivers, windows, etc.
  • Uninstalled the game and reinstalled, verified files, etc.

Mostly I just want to rule out hardware and then pursue a solution. I really like this game but can't figure out what to do. Thanks y'all for any ideas you may have.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

A system reboot is often a sign of either your components overheating(reboot to save itself) or that your PSU is failing at delivering power when taxed. Might you be able to check and see what your BIOS version is on the motherboard? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?

Jan 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

A system reboot is often a sign of either your components overheating(reboot to save itself) or that your PSU is failing at delivering power when taxed. Might you be able to check and see what your BIOS version is on the motherboard? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?

Thanks for the reply,

Win Version: 10.0.19044 Build 19044
BIOS Version: 4021, 08/09/2021

I can confirm the CPU and GPU have been holding cool temps under load and I've had a close eye on them with MSI Afterburner. The PSU might be the issue, as it was a 'used' part last summer when I couldn't source a new one. If it is the PSU, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it would fail in the same way when under a high load from a benchmarking test? I just find it weird that I can't replicate the issue under any other game or application.