[SOLVED] Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1

Apr 30, 2020
Hi there,

Purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 not detected by my system. Uninstaled and disabled in OS and BIOS the on board Realtek... Nothing!

My PC is a Lenovo Thinkcentre M720s SFF, i3-8100 CPU, chipset B360 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 on PCie x16 and 2 PCIe x1 empty slots. PSU 240W

Thanks in advance

Reactions: drivinfast247
Solution
There's an important step you probably did not take, and apparently the driver install software did not take care of this for you.

No matter how many sound output devices your system has installed, Windows can only use ONE of them at a time. And there is a place that you can set which it uses. So, re-install that new card, and install its drivers from the CD. Then, of course, you need to ensure that the plugs for your speakers or whatever are moved from the sockets on the back panel of your mobo to the sockets on the new sound card, because that's where the new sound signals will come from. At this point your sound may STILL not be working.

So the important last step. Go into System ... Sounds and find the tab where you can specify...
Apr 30, 2020
Yes, I did. I tried the CD one, than tried to update it, uninstalled it, tried the dowloaded one only.
I even tried to switch between the two PCIe x1 slots... nothing...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There's an important step you probably did not take, and apparently the driver install software did not take care of this for you.

No matter how many sound output devices your system has installed, Windows can only use ONE of them at a time. And there is a place that you can set which it uses. So, re-install that new card, and install its drivers from the CD. Then, of course, you need to ensure that the plugs for your speakers or whatever are moved from the sockets on the back panel of your mobo to the sockets on the new sound card, because that's where the new sound signals will come from. At this point your sound may STILL not be working.

So the important last step. Go into System ... Sounds and find the tab where you can specify the Default Sound Playback Device. It will have a small drop-down window, likely showing you that it is using the mobo's Realtek system. Click the drop-down arrow to see all the output devices you have, including your new one. Choose that one. Now, on the same screen, you should also find a similar item to select the Default Sound Recording Device. Change that also to your new sound card so that you plug your microphone into the sound card's mike jack. You may also need to change the Default MIDI Playvack Device IF your new sound card also does that job, and IF you have a MIDI device to connect. Otherwise forget about this last thing.

When done changing those sttings, back out and try the configuration and testing tools that came with your card. You should get sound from it now.

Solution
Apr 30, 2020
Thank you!!! It worked PERFECTLY!
As soon as the jack was on the sound card, the system switched to it.
Just had to install the driver and disable the Realtek one from "System" + disable and uninstall from "Device Manager", too.

Thanks again!!!

P.S.: Moral of the story: Win10 took over! ^_^