Sound Blaster Live LS

Tim

Has anybody here tried the Soundblaster Live LS soundcard? I have the
7VAXP board and unhappy with the built-in sound system. Would the LS
card be any better?

2200+ AMD
384 MB memory
--
/s/ Timothy I. McCrory
mailto:timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com

"Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
William Cobbett

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
believe they are free."
Goethe

"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
money that it values more, it will lose that too."
Somerset Maugham

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

"Tim" <timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody here tried the Soundblaster Live LS soundcard? I have the
> 7VAXP board and unhappy with the built-in sound system. Would the LS
> card be any better?
>
> 2200+ AMD
> 384 MB memory
> --
> /s/ Timothy I. McCrory
> mailto:timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com
>
> "Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
> William Cobbett
>
> "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
> believe they are free."
> Goethe
>
> "If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
> its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
> money that it values more, it will lose that too."
> Somerset Maugham
>
> "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
> In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
> seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
> must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
> lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
> Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

I added a Video Logic 5.1 card to my 7VAXP, and that was fine. Not what you
asked I know, but similar. In what way do you want the card to be better
than the on-board?

Tim

IanO wrote:

> I added a Video Logic 5.1 card to my 7VAXP, and that was fine. Not what you
> asked I know, but similar. In what way do you want the card to be better
> than the on-board?

I would like a sound card that's not so dependent on the CPU. I have a
TV capture card and watch video clips. I lose little sound bites all
the time while watching video and even some times when listening to
music. I would like to try something different.

--

> IanO wrote:
>

> > I added a Video Logic 5.1 card to my 7VAXP, and that was fine. Not what
you
> > asked I know, but similar. In what way do you want the card to be better
> > than the on-board?
> >
> I would like a sound card that's not so dependent on the CPU. I have a
> TV capture card and watch video clips. I lose little sound bites all
> the time while watching video and even some times when listening to
> music. I would like to try something different.
>

> --
> /s/ Timothy I. McCrory
> mailto:timccr48-news@spammyyahoo.com
>
> "Tyranny has no enemy so formidable as the pen."
> William Cobbett
>
> "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely
> believe they are free."
> Goethe
>
> "If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose
> its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or
> money that it values more, it will lose that too."
> Somerset Maugham
>
> "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression.
> In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains
> seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all
> must be most aware of change in the air - however slight -
> lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
> Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Yeah, just curious. I added a card that had more acceleration (in theory)
and supported DTS sound, but I can't say that the on-board system performed
too badly on my 7VAXP. Sorry I know little of the Sound Blaster you
mention, but I do wonder if your clipped sound is due to a problem rather
than a limitation. It can happen if the sound driver is sharing an IRQ with
a disk controller, for example......

In article <420eaf47$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>,
SteveK <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote:
#Never use onboard sound since it's eating CPU time and drains resources -
#always get a sound card to offload CPU

Unless its a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, that chops up the sound
and sounds worse than the cheap onboard sound. All my sound problems
went away when I yanked the card. My system is not exactly lacking in
spare cycles, either.

I'm sure someone out there is happy with their SBA2, but it just goes to
show you, blanket statements like your are rarely always correct.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!