[SOLVED] Sound Blaster X-FI HD vs scarlet 2i2.

diobrando_tw

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
Hello everybody,
I've been using the Sound Blaster X-FI HD sound card with AudioTechnica ATH-AD900X headphones and a USB microphone (snowball blue yeti) for some time. Now, I want to get a better microphone and I got a condenser mic (ad2020) that needs a 48V phantom and I bought the Neewer one for 17 € which does its job. Now I was thinking, that instead of putting another items on my desk, i could buy an all-in-one: the scarlet 2i2.
The question is, is the the scarlet a downgrade, an upgrade or I wouldn't notice any differences compared to the sound blaster x-fi HD ?

Thank you all.

Solution
For recording, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will be an upgrade.

For playback, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will be roughly the same to slightly downgrade. The downgrade will be especially true if you have preferable settings (EQ, filters, etc.) with the X-Fi.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 specializes in audio recording so naturally it will excel at it. Sound Blaster X-FI HD, like other sound cards, are more jack-of-all-trades.

For playback, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 will be roughly the same to slightly downgrade. The downgrade will be especially true if you have preferable settings (EQ, filters, etc.) with the X-Fi.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 specializes in audio recording so naturally it will excel at it. Sound Blaster X-FI HD, like other sound cards, are more jack-of-all-trades.

Reactions: diobrando_tw
Solution

diobrando_tw

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013

Thank you for the answare, do you know something about the Audient iD14 instead of the scarlett? I know it is on another price, but if its a good improvement i could consider it. Am i overkilling it? i'm not an audiophile and maybe my headphone are not even good enough to appreciate the audient id14.

Thank you for the answare, do you know something about the Audient iD14 instead of the scarlett? I know it is on another price, but if its a good improvement i could consider it. Am i overkilling it? i'm not an audiophile and maybe my headphone are not even good enough to appreciate the audient id14.

For audio recording use, I would easily take the Audient iD14 over the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It is not necessarily the sound quality that makes it better, but instead, the features are much better on the iD14. For audio playback, the sound quality will be slightly better on the iD14 due to better converters.

Honestly, I am a little fuzzy on what your application is with this setup. Are you planning to put together a budget home recording studio?

diobrando_tw

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
For audio recording use, I would easily take the Audient iD14 over the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It is not necessarily the sound quality that makes it better, but instead, the features are much better on the iD14. For audio playback, the sound quality will be slightly better on the iD14 due to better converters.

Honestly, I am a little fuzzy on what your application is with this setup. Are you planning to put together a budget home recording studio?
no, i just want a very good hearing mic and some hi fi amp for my headset. I ended up getting scarlett2i2 and topping A30. (i think that the scarlett is way more than enough for my pourpose)