Sound Card and Onboard

barranquilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
Hi guys,

My Boxes are broken and I want to buy new ones the only problem is the new ones doesnt have mic imput. Can I use the onboard sound from my board for my boxes and a Asus Xonar DG sound card for my Headphones? I have an Asus Z97 pro AC.

Thnxs in Advance.

It can vary dramatically. The reason I say "obscure" is because that configuration isn't generally tested by the manufacturer, so they're less likely to catch any bugs that may exist.

I'm aware of a few, including occasional skipping/popping, updates changing the default playback/recording devices, some effects not working, etc. Whether or not you have any of these depends strongly on the devices in question. I can't say what, if any, particular bugs you might encounter with that specific setup. I'll only say that you shouldn't be surprised if you encounter some.

Those headphones are kind of a pain to select a decent amp/dac for. They've got a low enough impedance that most mainstream amps and sound cards won't work well with them, and they're nice enough that you'd be able to notice the difference.

In general, most DACs these days perform quite well. The issue is the amp.

If you've got a soldering iron and know how to use it, there is one option that comes to mind. You'd have to assemble it, and it doesn't come with a housing, though. I'll assume that's not an option for now, but let me know if it's something you're interested in. Performance-wise, it's the only headphone amp you'd ever need at any budget, though. It surpasses most professional audio requirements by miles.

For your situation, and assuming the first option isn't a good fit for you, the best fit is probably the FiiO E11k. It's not a DAC at all. It's just a headphone amp. It's a good one, though.

TRENDING THREADS