Sound Card for Virtual Surround?

CaptainCrapnuts

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
So, after some extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that that virtual 7.1/5.1 surround sound gaming headsets are nothing more than an overpriced stereo headset and a sound card simulating the surround sound. I've used some, and though the quality of the sound was terrible imo, the simulation of the direction of the sound was pretty good. I'll be coming from an actual 7.1 surround sound home theater system but will be moving in with my fiancee so it wont be practical to use anymore. I play a lot of FPS's so directional sound is important to me, as with my current setup, I can literally wallbang a moving enemy based on sound alone, my 7.1 is incredibly accurate. I already own a pair of Hifiman HE 400's that sound amazing, so my question is, is it possible to install a sound card to simulate the surround sound on my Hifiman's and get a lapel mic to go with it? If so, can you recommend any sound cards?

P.S. It will be going into a MSI Z97 PC Mate Mobo. Also, I know nothing about sound cards, and although my Hifiman's are relatively easy to power as they're planar magnetic drivers, they are relatively quiet without additional power when plugged directly into the mobo, so a card with a built in amp would be nice too, otherwise, I can purchase an amp separately.

Solution
I use a beyerdynamic MMX300 in conjunction with an ASUS Xonar STX;
Quality wise the audio is great, the 7.1 virtual surround works just fine in my experience (though i've toned down playing FPS's just around the time i got these though).
I find that it does help my situational awareness.

The Xonar comes with software that has some nice features like preset buttons that i use to switch between "surround" for games and "Hi-Fi" for music/movies.
Otherwise the interface is a bit meh, not attractive nor the best layout but it does the job.
It has a built-in amp and a mechanical channel switch that gives a nice click when you switch between outputs.

Apparently theres a version 2 out, but i haven't read much about it.
Sep 10, 2013
I use a beyerdynamic MMX300 in conjunction with an ASUS Xonar STX;
Quality wise the audio is great, the 7.1 virtual surround works just fine in my experience (though i've toned down playing FPS's just around the time i got these though).
I find that it does help my situational awareness.

The Xonar comes with software that has some nice features like preset buttons that i use to switch between "surround" for games and "Hi-Fi" for music/movies.
Otherwise the interface is a bit meh, not attractive nor the best layout but it does the job.
It has a built-in amp and a mechanical channel switch that gives a nice click when you switch between outputs.

Apparently theres a version 2 out, but i haven't read much about it.

Solution