Sound Card Recommendation

mugenrsx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2004
My Logitech Z-560's will be here in a few days and I am wanting to upgrade my sound card. I don't play games and I listen to mp3s quite often. Which sound card best suits me and where will I be able to get it for around $30? I'm not sure if my integrated sound card on my HP Pavilon 750n will allow me to run the speakers in 4.1 configuration or run at all. Will they even run in 2.1 configuration?

So far I have heard only good things about these cards:

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Chaintech AV-710

What other cards should I look into? What are their pros and cons?

Also, if any of you have sound cards for sale that are in good working order, I'll be more than happy to buy it from you. Keep in mind I am only upgrading my card because I have to. Thanks in advance everyone.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, 2.1 sound will run off a 15 year old Walkman. It's just stereo. The .1 is the sub and runs from the stereo signal.

4.1 can be done easily from any card that has front and rear outputs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Of the two you've listed I'm only familiar with the TBSC, so I'd suggest that one personally.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Are your speakers actually going to be setup in surround sound, or will all the speakers just sit in front of you on the desk? If they are all sitting on the desk, you could always just stick to your on-board sound card, and just use a splitter to power front and rear.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

mugenrsx

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2004
I'm currently running a splitter for all my speakers too work. I was hoping a new sound card would better the sound quality. The speakers currently sit on my desk.