[SOLVED] Sound card (Soundblaster Z) randomly reassigns sounds to the wrong speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2019
I recently rebuilt the CPU and MOBO of my PC, and already had this Soundblaster Z that has worked fine for years).

On this new build, my Soundblaster, which is connected to some Logitech 5.1 speakers, will in the middle of games, movies, etc randomly reassign sounds to various speakers. The left and right will suddenly come from the back, the center will go through the right, the back right will go through the subwoofer, etc Not always the same thing. Left and Right might swap while the rear speakers stay normal.

This happens a lot in 5.1 mode. If I set the card to stereo / 2.1 mode, it happens a lot less, though I have started to notice it happening more recently now. The card's software has a toggle that goes between headphones and speakers, and if I hit that toggle back and forth, the channel issue is resolved temporarily.

Now, in troubleshooting this I've done a few things, like updating drivers, trying older drivers. I've read similar topics saying to disable onboard audio in BIOS, and done that. I even went so far as to uninstall onboard audio drivers. Which has actually caused a second issue I will likely make a second thread for. After giving up on fixing the sound card I thought I'd just go with the onboard audio but reinstalling those drivers, the audio no longer works. Or rather, doesn't work right. I can hear some very muffled test audio out of the front side speakers, and that's it. But I'm getting off topic, will create a topic for that soon.

I have determined it's not my speakers by using some headphones with the soundcard, it does it to them too.

I'm on the latest windows, and on the latest Bios. I have a MSI X570 A Pro motheboard and a Ryzen 3600. I'm guessing it's some sort of driver or software issue, but I can't for the life of me fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
There are a few people reporting the same issues over at the MSI forums. SoundBlaster Z and MSI (x570) motherboard.

It seems there's a new BIOS out for some motherboards, which should help resolve the issue.
Others are reporting that setting audio output bitrate from 24bit/48KHz to 16bit/44.1KHz also improves the problem.
Someone also received a beta driver from Creative, but supposedly it didn't do anything.
There are a few people reporting the same issues over at the MSI forums. SoundBlaster Z and MSI (x570) motherboard.

It seems there's a new BIOS out for some motherboards, which should help resolve the issue.
Others are reporting that setting audio output bitrate from 24bit/48KHz to 16bit/44.1KHz also improves the problem.
Someone also received a beta driver from Creative, but supposedly it didn't do anything.

Solution
Oct 1, 2019

Thanks. Found the thread you were talking about, tried 16 bit audio but it seems to only delay the inevitable rather than act as a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.