[SOLVED] Sound Card to replace Unsupported Sound Blaster Recon3Di

Jun 24, 2020
I have a Alienware computer with embedded sound. With the latest build of WIN10 (1909) the system is crashing periodically BugCheck and error log saying the SB Recon3D service Terminated unexpectedly. The Drivers are old and do not appear to be support or updated. I have been reviewing sound cards and many are old technologies that might not work in the near future (like the Scout) due to changes in WIN10. Is anyone desigining a new card built for WIN 10 and not just a port or upgrade from Win7? I don't want to invest in a card that will be obsolete in a few months. For Example the SB Z PCIe is 10 year old core tech?

Solution
I'd look into external DACs. They don't pick up interference from the GPU or CPU as much, they can easily be paired with an AMP or Pre-AMP and are state of the art. PCI-sound cards are a dying breed these days.

they come in different price ranges and qualities, something like a Schiit Stack, a Fiio 5k Pro, Creative Soundblaster X3 are the first that come to my mind but you can find plenty more (and potentially better ones even) when googling for a decent DAC for your computer. They connect via USB and afaik aren't driver dependable like PCI soundcards
I'd look into external DACs. They don't pick up interference from the GPU or CPU as much, they can easily be paired with an AMP or Pre-AMP and are state of the art. PCI-sound cards are a dying breed these days.

they come in different price ranges and qualities, something like a Schiit Stack, a Fiio 5k Pro, Creative Soundblaster X3 are the first that come to my mind but you can find plenty more (and potentially better ones even) when googling for a decent DAC for your computer. They connect via USB and afaik aren't driver dependable like PCI soundcards

Reactions: M3rKn
Solution
Well, soundcards don't really need hardware/software updates; once they work they work. Putting aside Creatives historically bad driver support, their hardware is still solid (except the Recon line, which is hilariously bad). ASUS is really the only other player in town, though they tend to focus more on the high end.

Most "good" PC soundcards are better then an equivalently priced DAC. The reason they don't get so much focus anymore is that the onboard soundchips these days are "good enough" for 90% of us.

Jun 24, 2020

Thanks, I ordered The SoundBlaster X3 and an expansion card that will give me a USB-C port. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for your help

Jun 24, 2020
Well that was the easiest damn thing I have ever done. I have been in IT support since the 8088 and the very first sound card (IRQ and DMA Jumpers ) This was literally nothing at all. Thanks, my problem is solved. Thank You for the advice.