Sound card too loud for headphones, need best solution.

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I am using a Creative Soundblaster Audigy ZS2 with Audio Technica M50 headphones. The source is way too loud for these headphones. Even at 3% volume in windows it can be annoying, which also doesn't provide me much room for choosing my volume.

What is the best solution for this? I've read about attentuator cables but I'm not sure which would suit my needs and not reduce the audio quality.

Any insight wold be much appreciated, thanks.

Solution
No need to be snarky at all. Just trying to offer advice and options.

Are you sure that the drivers do not have simple volume level options? Every audio driver control panel I've ever used has had this, the most basic feature of all. Sure enough, everyone uses things differently; in your case you use the global volume level, but if you are not satisfied with this and it is not giving you the right sound, then perhaps that you should just try something that takes what, 10 seconds? Every Youtube video has a volume slider and every game, movie player, Soundcloud sound etc etc has a volume slider.

Using the Creative Soundblaster control panel allows you to fine-tune your audio experience. Hey, it may even make your experience better, or...

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Does the Creative Soundblaster not come with it's own proprietary drivers? It should come with at least a dashboard for your drivers which will allow you to fine-tune your sound.

What programs are you having issue with? Are you not able to turn it down within the program? (Most if not all programs/websites that push out sound allow you to turn it down) Usually I set Windows sound levels to 100% (to let the audio flow through naturally - as intended) and then just limit the audio on a program by program basis.

xioSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007

The driver software does not have volume control. Also, I differ from you in the way I manage my volumes. I prefer to adjust it with the windows volume control rather than set every single program to a certain level. Why would OS's even have a master volume control if they weren't intended to be used?

Perhaps I should post this on an audiophile forum.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
No need to be snarky at all. Just trying to offer advice and options.

Are you sure that the drivers do not have simple volume level options? Every audio driver control panel I've ever used has had this, the most basic feature of all. Sure enough, everyone uses things differently; in your case you use the global volume level, but if you are not satisfied with this and it is not giving you the right sound, then perhaps that you should just try something that takes what, 10 seconds? Every Youtube video has a volume slider and every game, movie player, Soundcloud sound etc etc has a volume slider.

Using the Creative Soundblaster control panel allows you to fine-tune your audio experience. Hey, it may even make your experience better, or allow you to tailor your audio levels to how you want it. You can download the Soundblaster control panel for your card over at http://goo.gl/XFff3J (scroll down and it's the download link at the top of the list of downloads) if you don't have the control panel.

You don't need to buy more hardware in order to turn the volume down, quite simply.

Solution

genz

Distinguished
You can get a headphone amp. It may simply be that your headphones have low impedance, and the ZS2 has more powerful drivers (as in audio hardware not the software) to reach that end.

Also look for any switched that say Hi-Z or have the Ohm sign no them (Ω). You probably won't find one so a simple headphone amp will do you fine.