Sound cards don't reproduce 5.1

Xiwi

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
First of all this is my hardware:
- Pioneer VSX-321 5.1
- Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF (it supports 7.1)
- PCI sound card Ewent 7.1 (https://www.ewent-online.com/ewent-ew3752-7-1-geluidskaart-met-spdif.html?___store=ewent_nederland_nl)
- Windows 10 Pro

I updated both drivers and I tried the motherboard connected with a HDMI cable. I configured the speakers to reproduce 5.1 but subwoofer and central speaker don't work.

Same thing with the sound card but this doesn't have 5.1 mode, just 7.1:
Capture.png

I could try with analog cables but prefer digital.

Things I tried:
- Connect the right speaker to central one to check it wasn't broken.
- Connect the home cinema to a TV and no problems
- Different sound cards (motherboard and PCI)
- Different cables (optical and HDMI)
- Different configurations

I understand S/PDIF doesn't have more than 2 channel but it should be fine with the configuration on the right (also I can hear sound from speaker behind me so atm I can hear from 4 speakers, not just 2).
Also next optical connection (you can see 2 on that sound card) doesn't have any inner light as the other one and I'm not sure what is this connection for.

Any ideas?

Because you had the pioneer receiver, just forget about the sound card, the receiver is better than the sound card, use HDMI connect your PC to the receiver, I think the receiver should have that HDMI ports.

If your don't have the receiver, you will need the sound card.

Xiwi

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

I think my computer is not related to this.

Found a test button on my remote control and I can't get sounds from these 2 speakers (again this isn't connected to my computer, just the speakers and the AV).

I've been doing a lot tests...

- I opened the entirely amplifier to clean everything
- I blow up inside the connectors (maybe stupid but it "used to work" with my Megadrive :D)
Tried again everything and magically, central speaker was working again! Not the subwoofer
- Tried the subwoofer on different connections and it's working, so not faulty

At some point everything stopped working so I thought it might be something related with static electricity and I took off the main cable and put it on the floor. Again, all working (except the subwoofer).

So at least we have 1 of them working (but not sure how tbh)