Sound Cards for audiophiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
My current sound card came with my pc and it is pretty terrible, is there any sound cards out there which give a decent sound quality for a low cost (price to performance) for audiophiles like me? Thanks :D

Solution

guymarshall,

The best sound quality, widest range of features, and most fully controllable interfaces are external USB and Firewire. Out of interest, you might like to see the amazing range of these devices:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

External interfaces generally include recording and/or MIDI. If however, your needs are straightforward, good sound out of the computer for videos, games, and background music, a PCI or PCIe card can work quite well...

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015

Are there any PCI sound cards which can do the same thing? I prefer it to be internal than external that's all but thanks anyways.

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015

OK thanks for the responses, I will look at some when I get back from my GCSE exam. :D

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Asus Xonar. You're welcome.
http://event.asus.com/multimedia/xonar/

I'm using a Asus Xonar Essence ST (PCI) and its quite good. Make sure you have some quality cans or studio monitors, as I'm sure you're aware, even the best audio device can't make sub-standard speakers perform any better.

Concerning external audio devices, keep in mind where the signal that feeds it is coming from, is it your onboard audio? Then don't expect improvements. Once you amplify garbage, its just louder garbage.

Garbage in, garbage out, so they say in the concert audio world.

The best internal audio card is ASUS XONAR Essence STX II, especially if you plan to use mainly headphone and have a bit of a problem with not enough room on your desk.

If you plan to use amplifier/DAC/receiver and speaker/headphone (external DAC) setup, do not buy any soundcard at all. Just connect the audio optical output from your mobo directly to your receiver/amplifier/DAC. Let the receiver/amplifier/DAC do the work.

-HH-

Dignified
I'm currently pairing my Sennheiser HD700's with a Creative Soundblaster ZxR and it seems to be working well if I'm honest, music is great, mids are there, bass is tight and punchy and trebles are crisp. Though I'm not reviewing the combo, if you have the dollar, the HD700's are the best headphones I have ever bought.

-- The Soundcard is great, sorry for getting off topic--

guymarshall,

The best sound quality, widest range of features, and most fully controllable interfaces are external USB and Firewire. Out of interest, you might like to see the amazing range of these devices:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/computer-audio/audio_interfaces/

External interfaces generally include recording and/or MIDI. If however, your needs are straightforward, good sound out of the computer for videos, games, and background music, a PCI or PCIe card can work quite well.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c703--PCI_Audio_Interfaces

If you like to buy new, RME are studio quality and at a consumer level, the ASUS Xonar are good by reputation- have a look at that line and find the features - sampling rate, freq., number of channels- and price that suits you.

If you don't mind buying used, and like to find a good use for that lazy PCI slot, there was an "Essence ST" PCI 2-channel that is obsolete said to be very good quality, but I don't have direct experience as to the sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Xonar-Essence-ST-124dB-Music-S-PDIF-Digital-Dolby-PC-Audio-PCI-Sound-Card-/221775843135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a2decf3f&nma=true&si=fHVmeBPE2pFRhrzqrbFY%252BGIx8WU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

For years- since 2004- I've had a succession of M-Audio PCI cards, three 2496 "Audiophile" 24/96 and currently I'm running two "Audiophile 192" which are 24 /192. Both of these are recording cards with MIDI I/O and are duplex cards- two simultaneous inputs and outputs. All except one of the 192's were purchased used and the one in my 2004 Dell is a 2003 card that still runs perfectly well. The 192 has a better signal .noise ratio and I think the sound is quite good. These can be very reasonable to buy now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-Audio-Delta-Audiophile-PCI-DELTA-Audiophile-192-Sound-Card-/121610944869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5093c165&nma=true&si=fHVmeBPE2pFRhrzqrbFY%252BGIx8WU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As I'm there twenty hours per day, I usually keep a fairly good sound setup in the office and for a couple of years, my office sound was an M-Audio 192 in a Dell Precision T5400 and along with a Yamaha S90 synthesizer through MIDI plus a McIntosh tuner, was output through an Audio Research electronics to Vandersteen 2C speakers. The sound was surprisingly good from the T5400 DVD ROM and as a monitor and recorder with the S90. I made dozens if not hundreds of recordings with the S90. However, the floor standing speakers could not have good placement for streaming videos. That was solved by using a Logitch Z2300 with satellites next the monitor and a subwoofer under the desk. If you are also looking for a good computer amp /speaker sound at a reasonable cost I really recommend looking at Logitech systems with two satellites and a subwoofer and because the satellites can be placed on either side of the main monitor the sound is also really quite good- there is some level of soundstage / imaging. The best feature of these Logitech systems- even some of the lower cost ones- is that they have a remote control with on/off, volume, subwoofer, and very useful- a headphone jack.

I'm somewhat surprised that with all the serious gamers on this site that good sound is mentioned in small proportion to GPU's and monitors.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

HP z420 (2015) > Xeon E5-1660 v2 six-core @ 3.7 /4.0GHz > 16GB DDR3 ECC 1866 RAM > Quadro K2200 (4GB) > Intel 730 480GB (9SSDSC2BP480G4R5) > Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 sound card > Logitech z2300 > Linksys AE3000 USB WiFi > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440) > Windows 7 Professional 64 >
[ Passmark Rating = 4918 > CPU= 13941 / 2D= 823 / 3D=3464 / Mem= 2669 / Disk= 4764]

Dell Precision T5500 (2011) > Xeon X5680 six -core @ 3.33 / 3.6GHz, 24GB DDR3 ECC 1333 > Quadro 4000 (2GB ) > Samsung 840 250GB / WD RE4 Enterprise 1TB > M-Audio 192 sound card > Linksys WMP600N PCI WiFi > Windows 7 Professional 64> HP 2711x (1920 X 1080)
[ Passmark system rating = 3339 / CPU = 9347 / 2D= 684 / 3D= 2030 / Mem= 1871 / Disk= 2234]

Solution

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Xonar's may not be the all out best in terms of quality, but keep in mind we are considering more than JUST audio quality. Price plays a large factor, as does operational ease. I've read that people are using the Xonar DAC and feeding signal to an external headphone amp with great results. If you choose this route, consider the Xonar DX instead of the ST/STX as the ST/STX offer a build-in headphone amplifier, where the DX does not.

If quality is your only concern, go drop $2000 on a dac/amp and another $500-$2000 on some quality cans.

Personally, I am more than pleased with my 5 +/- year old $200 Xonar Essence ST.

Good luck!

Hi,

Sound cards (USA): http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/sound-card/#sort=d7&page=1

First of all, if you want a "low cost" sound card I'm not sure you're actually an audiophile. That implies some pretty high quality, expensive hardware in which case I doubt you'd then cheap out on the cost of the sound card. There's probably no agreed upon definition but I'm talking about perhaps $300+ headphones and $500+ desktop speakers and an ear that can appreciate the differences between that an "only" high quality $100 headphones for example.

Simply being able to appreciate good sound doesn't make you an audiophile in my opinion. I'm just trying to get us on the same wavelength.

1) The SPEAKERS used also have to be reasonably good quality or the sound card won't make much difference.

2) If your speakers connect via a DIGITAL connection then a sound card will make little difference. The ONLY difference in this case would be if you have any digital post-processing setup for the game or music which I generally advise against.

3) For ANALOG it's a completely different story:
If the speakers or headphones connect via analog cables then the output has passed through a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and OP-AMP (the OP-AMP amplifies and shapes the signal).

NOISE can be introduced that alter the analog shape and ruin the sound quality. That's why there are "EMF" shields or other methods to prevent this (with questionable real-world value).

The best results use an external unit which connects via a digital cable thus eliminating the computer as a noise source. You apparently don't want this but I thought I'd mention it.

Again though, if your DESKTOP speakers connect digitally you're already isolated from your PC as a source of noise (though not the speaker power supply). So if you have digital speakers and you feel the quality is questionable it's the SPEAKERS that are likely your main problem and a sound card will likely make little difference.

4) What sound card??

You can't buy my card but I can say it's noticeably better IMO to my onboard. So my Auzentech X-FI Forte is better than Realtek ALC892. I believe my sound card is comparable to a number of Creative or Asus cards.

My speakers are quite good IMO for the price.
(I got the stereo speakers with large woofers because a 2.1 with subwoofer wasn't practical. The subwoofer is a better audio solution but would have annoyed those directly BELOW the subwoofer. Thus, two desktop speakers with 4" dirvers for bass was the best compromise.)

a) M-Audio AV40 stereo, and
b) Sony headphones -> MDR-V700

So, assuming you have good quality speakers let's see what sound cards are offered:

5) SOUND CARD CHECKLIST:

a) Outputs->
Basically does it support BOTH your speakers and headphones? If they're both ANALOG you may have a problem. Most sound cards don't support both a 3.5mm output for headphones and analog for desktop speakers.

Which brings us back to a major PROBLEM again. If the desktop speakers are DIGITAL then getting an expensive sound card probably won't make much difference unless your onboard audio is pretty old.

On the other hand if you have ANALOG desktop speakers you do want a better sound card but then you may have NO SUPPORT for analog headphones.

b) Quality: see feedback, reviews etc (customer feedback most useful IMO)

c) PCI or PCIe (for internal). If you have a choice of similar card then look at motherboard to see which makes sense. If it doesn't seem to matter than get PCIe since PCI will be completely dropped for future computers.

Other:
a) Crappy speakers?
Invest in better speakers and use onboard (if okay) rather than a good card for crappy speakers.

b) Analog speakers mean no analog output for headphones?
- use speaker output for headphones if that's an option, or
- buy an external DAC to use with headphones. unfortunately an added cost.

*THIS card (is not cheap): http://pcpartpicker.com/part/creative-labs-sound-card-70sb150600000

Good VALUE card?
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/creative-labs-sound-card-70sb155000001
site
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-audigy-rx

Summary:
Make sure both your Desktop speakers and Headphones are supported as discussed. For both analog I don't seem to be able to find anything ( my Auzentech X-Fi Forte has both but the companies dead and gone).

Again, think carefully about the points above and consider strongly whether it's you audio chip or speakers which is the problem.

Finally, if you do think it's the Desktop speakers that need to be replaced investigate a solution that also supports your headphones. For example, if still using onboard audio (which may be pretty good) do note that many people claim the analog FRONT CASE OUTPUT often has a lot of noise. The wire from motherboard to jack on the case acts as an antennae picking up the various EM fields present inside your computer.

First of all the term audiophile seems to mean different things to different people so lets start with the definition of an audiophile quoted from Wikipedia.

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. Audiophile values may be applied at all stages of music reproduction: the initial audio recording, the production process, and the playback, which is usually in a home setting.

Many here in this thread obviously have their favorite recommendations as do I, my recommendations are from years of using what I will recommend to you, but first you have asked for a PCI soundcard, the PCI interface is being phased out.

A lot of the newer motherboards do not even have a PCI slot at all, so buying a dedicated PCI only add in card would definitely be for an older system that does not have an available PCI-E slot?

Assuming that you do have a PCI-E slot then acquiring a PCI-E sound card is best for future reasons of being able to transfer the card to another system when you upgrade.

The Creative Sound Blaster Z PCI-E is an excellent discrete sound card which not only plays back music crystal to my ears, is also an excellent gaming sound card if you ever game at all.

I am not going to argue the points listed by the other posters in your thread, as to which is better or not, I have run Creative Sound cards for years, and if what I presently have which is what I linked to you, blew up today!

I would order a replacement!

Because the Creative Sound Blaster Z is the best sound card to ever exit the doors of the Creative corporation.

Anyone that actually owns one knows that statement is true.

-HH-

Dignified

But the ZxR?:(

The ZXR is the top end of the Creative Z product line and costs around the $230 price range, and targets the stereo aspect line of audio reproduction.

I wasn't discounting it, but it did not fit my gaming needs as I am running a 500w 5.1 surround speaker system, and the ZXR does not have the surround speaker outputs.

It does not have the front, center/sub, rear, output jacks.

So for my personal purposes it does not fit my needs, but if it fits your needs, that is all that matters.

-HH-

Dignified

Meant it as more of a jokey comment to the bottom of your previous comment but for headphones the ZXR is the best amplifier/soundcard from Creative with 600ohm impendence support too, so both great things to come out of the creative labs doors?

There is also virual surround/EQ software on the ZxR which is beautiful compared to most others software. I can hear the difference when I change an EQ setting and the Surround/Crystaliser/Bass options are amazing for headphones/2.0 speakers such as bookshelves. Your card is probably best for the bangforbuck Ryan and I agree with what you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.