Question Sound cards

It depends:
  • Do you feel the audio coming out of the integrated sound card is "off" in some way, even after EQ adjustments?
  • Do you want interface features like multi-channel audio or optical audio if the integrated sound card doesn't come with that?
  • Do you want (subjective sounding) global audio enhancements?
  • Do you have high impedance headphones you want to drive?
  • Do you have speakers or headphones that could take advantage of it?
    • You don't need like high-end $300+ setups, but getting a sound card and throwing on a basic speaker kit or $20 headphones doesn't really make it worth while.

Reactions: tennis2
May 24, 2022
It depends:
  • Do you feel the audio coming out of the integrated sound card is "off" in some way, even after EQ adjustments?
  • Do you want interface features like multi-channel audio or optical audio if the integrated sound card doesn't come with that?
  • Do you want (subjective sounding) global audio enhancements?
  • Do you have high impedance headphones you want to drive?
  • Do you have speakers or headphones that could take advantage of it?
    • You don't need like high-end $300+ setups, but getting a sound card and throwing on a basic speaker kit or $20 headphones doesn't really make it worth while.
I've ordered LOGITECH - Z623 2.1 PC Speakers

It sounds ok but was hoping a cheapish soundcard may improve the sound, its only for listening to music so nothing fancy
I'm under the impression in terms of raw specs, the quality of on-board audio is more or less pushing not being able to hear any appreciable difference compared to a sound card. The only thing that would be a problem is if there's a significant amount of noise being leaked into the output. A sound card may be able to isolate from that, but using an external device would be better. However I can't find the specs for the Realtek ALC3600-CG your computer has so I can't verify if it's in this range.

So I guess if you can afford it, go ahead and buy whatever you were thinking of. But keep in mind it may not be that much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iansnakebite
May 24, 2022
I'm under the impression in terms of raw specs, the quality of on-board audio is more or less pushing hearing any appreciable differences compared to a sound card. The only thing that would be a problem is if there's a significant amount of noise being leaked into the output. A sound card may be able to isolate from that, but using an external device would be better. However I can't find the specs for the Realtek ALC3600-CG your computer has so I can't verify if it's in this range.

So I guess if you can afford it, go ahead and buy whatever you were thinking of. But keep in mind it may not be that much better.
I will probably wait till payday but will definitely give it a go

May 24, 2022