Sound constantly muting and unmuting

ian707

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I've been having a sound issue this past month, where a sound bar at the top left corner of my screen appears and showing my sound muting and unmuting. Recently it started to get so bad that its impossibe to listen to anything, It will mute and unmute into rapid bursts, it seems like its not consistent when it happens.

I tried reinstalling my Realtek audio driver and disabling. Also tried downloading the drivers off their website. The problem still continues even if I unplug my speakers and headphones. I'm beginning to think if this is a internal issue?

Solution
"....When I unplug my headphones and speakers, the problem stops ..." Many PCs have a "presence detect" to see if a headphone is plugged into the audio socket. This sometimes gets flakey with age. Try wiggling the plug from your headphone and see if it triggers the "mute" message to appear.

If it is the headphone socket then first fix to try is some contact cleaner. (google "deoxit" or get it from amazon.) Make sure you do not overspray into your PC. Second fix is using an extension mini-jack cord from the rear of the PC if you have rear audio jacks (not likely on a laptop, every common on a desktop). Third fix is buying a USB sound card for $30 to $150 depending on sound quality you want. A $30 part is better than your...

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please pass on your full system's specs inclusive of your OS and audio equipment? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Audio equipment:

2| have you made sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date?

3| Likewise, have you ruled out a faulty headset/cabling since a damaged wire and movement can lead to the issue you speak of. Without the headset connected does the issue persist?

ian707

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

i7 4770k CPU 3.5ghz
gigabyte ga-z87-hd3
8GB DDR3
HDD 2TB and Sand disk SSD 240GB
EVGA GTX 980
800 watts standard 80 plus
HAF 912 Mid-Tower
Windows 10
Klipsch speakers and Sennheiser HD 598SE headphones

I'm sure my bios is up to date and the problem persists when I have my headphones and speakers unplugged

EDIT: I take that back....When I unplug my headphones and speakers, the problem stops but right when I plug it back into the audio jack, the problem starts back up. I even tried a different pair of headphones and the same thing happened so it is not the wiring to my speakers or headphones. Also my monitor has speakers and the problem still happens even when I have my hdmi cable from my monitor plugged into my GPU...

ian707

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

Nope, my keyboard does not have volume control

"....When I unplug my headphones and speakers, the problem stops ..." Many PCs have a "presence detect" to see if a headphone is plugged into the audio socket. This sometimes gets flakey with age. Try wiggling the plug from your headphone and see if it triggers the "mute" message to appear.

If it is the headphone socket then first fix to try is some contact cleaner. (google "deoxit" or get it from amazon.) Make sure you do not overspray into your PC. Second fix is using an extension mini-jack cord from the rear of the PC if you have rear audio jacks (not likely on a laptop, every common on a desktop). Third fix is buying a USB sound card for $30 to $150 depending on sound quality you want. A $30 part is better than your current sound on the MB, a $150 part is noticeably better for music and likely supports more of the artificial gaming spacial stuff.

Solution