[SOLVED] Sound cracks/pops then volume changes

Oct 9, 2019
I recently upgraded to windows 10 and about a week ago I started having issues with my sound that I never had before. The sound will pop and crack and the volume fluctuates then either get quiet or really loud like someone kicked up the amp. I have uninstalled the diver and reinstalled it, tried different ones, tried a ton of different format settings, turning off enhancements you name it. I'm out of ideas please help. I'm starting to think it may be the sound card itself or the mobo but I have no idea how to check if its those things.

Solution
Nothing to do with windows 10.
Its a hardware issue, typically with the audio jack or the headset lead.

If its a bluetooth or replica (2.4Ghz Rappo) its commonly a battery issue inside the headset.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Nothing to do with windows 10.
Its a hardware issue, typically with the audio jack or the headset lead.

If its a bluetooth or replica (2.4Ghz Rappo) its commonly a battery issue inside the headset.

Solution
Oct 9, 2019
It's just my speakers. My headset is USB so it doesn't use the sound card from my understanding. My speakers are 5.2 surround speakers and I have tested all the jacks. They seem fine. Sorry I should have put that in the original post.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Try google the motherboard for drivers.
Then search for any proprietary sound drivers for that mb, download and install into Win10 and reboot.
Windows10 will always automatically install the latest certified hardware drivers, it may not fit your onboard audio machine.

Oct 9, 2019
Try google the motherboard for drivers.
Then search for any proprietary sound drivers for that mb, download and install into Win10 and reboot.
Windows10 will always automatically install the latest certified hardware drivers, it may not fit your onboard audio machine.
Did that. A few times actually. With no luck :(

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Hardware problem then ...
You recently UPgraded to Win10, leading me to think its an elderly PC?
Then you will have failing electrolytic capacitors in the speaker amp units.

I have a lovely 2.1 set lying around, but it is humming a lot from the mains, telling me the rectifier circuit is badly in need for help.

EDIT: does your set have any external volume control - this will certainly always become a problem over time.
The potentiometer will wear/corrode out and cause exactly the symptoms you describe.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
If I use something to monitor my sound, if it's my speakers I would not see any change in the peaks when it glitches right? Because the software reads right from the card so if it's not peaking then glitches and still not peaking on the monitor then that should mean the card is fine right? Or would a failing amp on the card show no difference?

Oct 9, 2019
Ooops :unsure:
I have a bad habit editing my replies, I will try avoid that in the future.
You may excuse me I'm a 66yr old Git :censored:
Please re-read above post of mine.
If by external volume control you mean a long cord with a small box attached that allows me to control the volume then yes. Is there a way I can test if that is the issue? Because when I adjust the volume when it spikes I don't get any poping or anything and it changes the volume just fine.