[SOLVED] Sound dampening on loud budget fans

May 18, 2020
Just last week I finished my first "from scratch" build since Windows XP and 60gb hard drives were top of the line. Given what is currently going on in the world, part selection in rural Canada has been slim at best, with all of the choice parts being out of stock 90% of the time. Compromises had to be made.

One of those compromises was budget rgb case fans produced by a company called "uphere". I had watched some youtube reviews and got the impression that they were solid budget fans. I think they were wrong. Having installed a set of 5 into my Lancool 2 case I can say they are beyond loud. These fans have no anti vibration pads. At all. They are hard plastic right against the steel case frame. So I am assuming all of the noise is coming from vibration. Unfortunately these fans are rounded so those square baskets won't work, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using soft rubber pass thru grommets to help dampen fan vibration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Given that Amazon is the only company that carries the uphere fans, yes, I've heard of them. My entire build was assembled from parts ordered from Amazon, Newegg and Canada Computers, given that the nearest shop to me that actually sells components is a 2 and a half hour drive away. My post was not about my inability to purchase new fans. My question simply was if anyone had any experience using rubber grommets to dampen vibration.
Relax it wax just a joke.
To answer your question my heatsink a Deepcool Gammaxx 400, came with rubber grommets attached to the tower to help with fan vibrations and they are little more than a rubber sticker. I attribute the lack of noise to the fact that are a good quality 4 pin PWM fan however...

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I also used some Uphere fans in my build...Eventually I also got fed up with the noise. I seriously doubt rubber grommets or anything short of new fans would help. That said some rubber washers seem like they could easily be sandwiched between the case and fan.

I ended up with some Arctic 140mm PWM fans, and it made a huge difference. They were about the cheapest PWM fans with good reviews that I could find. I think around $11 a pop.
I think PWM fans make a world of difference. I also have some 3 pin Rosewill and Coolermaster fans and they were not much better noise wise.

I'm also from a small town in Canada, so I hear you on shops not having stock, also the next city, and the next city either. But ever heard of Amazon or PC Partpicker?

May 18, 2020
I also used some Uphere fans in my build...Eventually I also got fed up with the noise. I seriously doubt rubber grommets or anything short of new fans would help. That said some rubber washers seem like they could easily be sandwiched between the case and fan.

I ended up with some Arctic 140mm PWM fans, and it made a huge difference. They were about the cheapest PWM fans with good reviews that I could find. I think around $11 a pop.
I think PWM fans make a world of difference. I also have some 3 pin Rosewill and Coolermaster fans and they were not much better noise wise.

I'm also from a small town in Canada, so I hear you on shops not having stock, also the next city, and the next city either. But ever heard of Amazon or PC Partpicker?
Given that Amazon is the only company that carries the uphere fans, yes, I've heard of them. My entire build was assembled from parts ordered from Amazon, Newegg and Canada Computers, given that the nearest shop to me that actually sells components is a 2 and a half hour drive away. My post was not about my inability to purchase new fans. My question simply was if anyone had any experience using rubber grommets to dampen vibration.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
To answer your question my heatsink a Deepcool Gammaxx 400, came with rubber grommets attached to the tower to help with fan vibrations and they are little more than a rubber sticker. I attribute the lack of noise to the fact that are a good quality 4 pin PWM fan however.

Just go get some rubber grommets from Crappy tire or whatever hardware / auto parts store you have for a few cents each and give if a try. I'd be very surprised if they make any reasonable difference.

Solution
May 18, 2020
To answer your question my heatsink a Deepcool Gammaxx 400, came with rubber grommets attached to the tower to help with fan vibrations and they are little more than a rubber sticker. I attribute the lack of noise to the fact that are a good quality 4 pin PWM fan however.

Just go get some rubber grommets from Crappy tire or whatever hardware / auto parts store you have for a few cents each and give if a try. I'd be very surprised if they make any reasonable difference.
Sorry. Jokes don't come across well through text.

I think you're right though. My problem is more likely that all of my fans are running about 1200 rpm all the time. None of them are pwm. They're all wired directly to a deepcool hub that is sata powered. No control.