[SOLVED] Sound Engineer / Sound Production PC build

bajingluncat

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi all. My sister want to build a PC for sound engineer / production (recording, mixing, etc).
Her friend suggest her this setup:

CPU: Intel i5 9500
Mb: Asrock H310CM HDV
RAM: 2xKingston HYPERX FURY DDR4 8GB 2666MHz (edited)
SSD: Kingston SSD A400 240GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate Baracuda + 2TB WD external (edited)
PSU: Corsair CV450
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7600

price: $400

My question is:
  1. Is it ok if we only use an old GPU? will it be compatible ?
  2. Does using better GPU will have benefit for the audio production ? (Her old laptop GPU is Intel HD 4000)
I also have a Nvidia GT 240 from my old machine, should we just use this instead? will it also still compatible ? (this way we can go for another 8GB RAM)

Thanks

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all. My sister want to build a PC for sound engineer / production (recording, mixing, etc).
Her friend suggest her this setup:

CPU: Intel i5 9500
Mb: Asrock H310CM HDV
RAM: 1xKingston HYPERX FURY DDR4 8GB 2666MHz
SSD: Kingston SSD A400 240GB
PSU: Corsair CV450
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7600

price: $400

My question is:
  1. Is it ok if we only use an old GPU? will it be compatible ?
  2. Does using better GPU will have benefit for the audio production ? (Her old laptop GPU is Intel HD 4000)
I also have a Nvidia GT 240 from my old machine, should we just use this instead? will it also still compatible ? (this way we can go for another 8GB RAM)

Thanks
You don't want a single memory stick. You want a set of two 8GB DIMMs. You are going to need the memory speed and size.

What is your actual budget?

It's been awhile but if i was to set up again I would have a large SSD and an even larger HDD. If your going to record several tracks, manage various inputs and devices current computers are good enough but I would want the advantage of having multiple monitors to help sort the information.

bajingluncat

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
SSD is too small if that is the only drive.
Needs more RAM, and 2x, not 1x.
Thanks, will add another 8GB stick into the build.

It's been awhile but if i was to set up again I would have a large SSD and an even larger HDD. If your going to record several tracks, manage various inputs and devices current computers are good enough but I would want the advantage of having multiple monitors to help sort the information.
Now I already have 1TB internal HDD and 2TB external HDD.
If I need multiple monitor, does that mean I also need a decent GPU to support the multi display ?

Latest posts