Question Sound from audio jack randomly getting louder/quieter

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
Hi guys,

I have a new issue with my headphones I never encountered before. While playing music on spotify I noticed that the sound was constantly dropping, getting louder and returning to normal again. My headphones are connected to the front panel, while I have speakers connected directly to the motherboard (which work fine btw), so naturally I thought that the cable of my headphones is broken. I connected the headphones to another computer and to my shock - they worked again, but I still thought that it's just the cable suddenly deciding to do its job. When I connected the headphones back to my front panel tho, the sound issue returned.
So I tried to connect my headphones directly to my mainboard instead. My speakers are connected to L-Out, while I connected the headphones to L-In, and the issue came back again. When I unplugged the speakers and connected my headphones to L-Out, they worked fine again, just as the speakers. When I connected the speakers to the front panel, the sound started to get louder and quieter every second just like on the headphones.
Does anyone know what is causing my front panel and mainboard to mess with the sound? Is there any way to fix this? Is my mobo failing?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Not sure on the front panel audio jack, but Line In isn't meant for headphones - it's meant for sound input (e.g. microphone).

Maybe if you provide some motherboard details, you will be able to get some more precise help.

And7rey

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
I have an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, never had issues with it before. It's about 3-4 years old. I tried to find the audio driver for my mobo and installed it again, but it didn't seem to fix the issue, the sound glitch persisted.
Right now, the sound issue stopped, but I'm pretty sure it will come back again since it's been a recurring issue for the last few days.