Sound from front and rear audio ports

Sarge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
I think i've missed something in the last couple of years or at least I'm confused on this matter. Most motherboards now come with connections to allow audio ports on the front of the case and several cases are available with ports built on the front for this purpose.

Now for sound to be available in the rear jumpers are placed on the audio header to pass it through. Ok I'm clear to this point.

Now why do the cases I've just purchased have single pin connectors and therefore don't jump the header to allow sound from the rear ports???

I want to be able to connect my boom mic headphones to the front connectors and my speakers from the back. Is this not the purpose of front connectors????

If not I guess i've made a big mistake and wasted my time looking for cases with ports on the front. Somebody please tell me if I'm wrong or if somewhere I can buy additional connectors to jump the audio header and get sound from the back AND front ports at the same time. Please!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, pass through...you know, if you don't have a JUMPER to pass THROUGH from the sound chip to the onboard output, perhaps you're passing INTO the front panel instead?

You only need the positive connections, negative can be grounded to the case. Sound is actually AC so the positive is actually an AC signal wire, while the negative is actually ground.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Sarge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
Ok so your saying it is possible to have sound from the rear and front ports.

So answer me this please. How do you put a jumper across the required pins AND plugin the single pin connector that goes to the front port? I don't see any physical way for this to work unless you modify a jumper to accept the single pin connector. If there's something available on the market to do this whats it called so I can order some.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, sorry. No, you have a choice! You can use the front panel connectors OR have both front and rear outputs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Sarge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
lol

ok so back to my original question which I guess I clouded over too much with the big explanation...how do I connect the front ports to the audio header when I have to have a jumper on the header to get sound from the rear?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, you don't. You either have Front/Rear channels on the back, or...you have Front Panel audio plus a second set of front outputs on the rear. In the second case you set all of them as front channels in software.

You could probably SPLIT the channels and have 2 rears (one on the front panel), but then you'd have to toggle back and forth. And to connect it, you'd have to splice wires (maybe modify a jumper to connect to the pin?).

Sarge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
thanx dude

seems like they would have come up with a way to output to both sets of ports but oh well..maybe later

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, like I said, you could SPLIT the signal. The problem is that it's off the REAR ports. Another problem would be loss of signal strength.