Is The HDD Working Properly

• Total voters

Zerk2012

Polypheme
Ambassador
If it sounds like a knocking or scratching, we recommend not using the drive anymore since it could be further damaged. Could you describe the sound?
The sound tracks worked for me. The 1st one without using the drive sounded normal single click and disc spinning up then a single click when going to sleep mode. The 2nd track when transferring data was not good fairly steady clicking 2 or 3 clicks per sec. Not really loud like the click of death but clearly has worn parts and should be replaced.

Learned my lesson on not having backup after loosing like 6 hours of code I wrote to a failure now I use both internal and external backup!

Zerk2012

Polypheme
Ambassador
The fan like noise is normal. The clicking sound in the 2nd track would bother me I would replace the drive since it is although fairly low noise it is fairly steady.

The single click when the drive starts and stops is normal in the first track.

EDITED after listening to the 2ND track again.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Polypheme
Ambassador
If it sounds like a knocking or scratching, we recommend not using the drive anymore since it could be further damaged. Could you describe the sound?
The sound tracks worked for me. The 1st one without using the drive sounded normal single click and disc spinning up then a single click when going to sleep mode. The 2nd track when transferring data was not good fairly steady clicking 2 or 3 clicks per sec. Not really loud like the click of death but clearly has worn parts and should be replaced.

Learned my lesson on not having backup after loosing like 6 hours of code I wrote to a failure now I use both internal and external backup!

Apr 28, 2020
Normally, the computer storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damages or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are number of different hard drives clicking sounds for different reasons.

Most of the times there are 4 probable causes for clicking noise of a hard drive:

1. Insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive. It mostly happens when you have connected multiple devices (including the HDD) to a single port.

2. Physical depreciation of the hard drive which results from either simple issues or damage such as a physical shock or trauma.

3. A hard drive may be failed due to the faulty data cables, or incorrect drivers installed.

4. A crashed hard drive.

Subsequent fixes people have used to overcome the issue are:

1. Check whether the hard drive is getting enough power or not. You can do it by plugging the power adapter directly into the power supply.

2. Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive. Now, if it does not make any noise, then the data cable might be faulty.

3. In case the drive still makes noises, then there is a high possibility the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Reactions: Ahmed.K

Thanks! Yes you are totally right, if the clicking sound is more like a rhythm the drive should be replaced since it can fail and cause data loss.

Ahmed.K can you replace the drive under warranty?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS