Solution
If it sounds like a knocking or scratching, we recommend not using the drive anymore since it could be further damaged. Could you describe the sound?

The sound tracks worked for me. The 1st one without using the drive sounded normal single click and disc spinning up then a single click when going to sleep mode. The 2nd track when transferring data was not good fairly steady clicking 2 or 3 clicks per sec. Not really loud like the click of death but clearly has worn parts and should be replaced.

Learned my lesson on not having backup after loosing like 6 hours of code I wrote to a failure now I use both internal and external backup!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The fan like noise is normal. The clicking sound in the 2nd track would bother me I would replace the drive since it is although fairly low noise it is fairly steady.

The single click when the drive starts and stops is normal in the first track.

EDITED after listening to the 2ND track again.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If it sounds like a knocking or scratching, we recommend not using the drive anymore since it could be further damaged. Could you describe the sound?

The sound tracks worked for me. The 1st one without using the drive sounded normal single click and disc spinning up then a single click when going to sleep mode. The 2nd track when transferring data was not good fairly steady clicking 2 or 3 clicks per sec. Not really loud like the click of death but clearly has worn parts and should be replaced.

Learned my lesson on not having backup after loosing like 6 hours of code I wrote to a failure now I use both internal and external backup!

Solution

Thanks! Yes you are totally right, if the clicking sound is more like a rhythm the drive should be replaced since it can fail and cause data loss.

Ahmed.K can you replace the drive under warranty?