Sound from only right speaker unless 3.55m jack is slightly pulled out

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanchitgoyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hello Everyone

I have a Dell XPS M1210 laptop and facing a very irritating issue. I have noticed it since the last 6 months or so.

Ok so the issue is If I plug the 3.5mm jack of either Headphones (TRRS jack) or aux wire (TRS jack) connected to 5.1 System completely then I get sound from only right speaker.

However If I pull the jack slightly out all speakers work fine. There are 2 headphone jack and the issue is with both of them.

Since the connectors are located on the front side even If I pull the jack slightly out it gets plugged in after sometime which is very irritating.

I have searched on Google and found many people with the same problem but no solution! It seems a fairly common problem.

Any ideas how it can be resolved?

Regards

Solution
I used to have same trouble with my PC(but only on front port).
the things I tried..
1. Brought a stereo extender.(Donno what it is technically called, but its one with a stereo pin at one end and stereo port/plug(female) at the other end. (Must be stereo no mono)). Used it basicaly as an extender. I assume it solved some loose connections and got good audio for some moths before the same trouble started again. :cry:
2. I build the extender myself the next time and worked fine for long time.
3. If everything fails buy a USB audio adapter.There seems to be 5.1's also.
4. Also u can try a different set of headphones. Does that work??
Bluetooth headphones will work for sure :ange:

These are just work arounds for sure. I would also...

sanchitgoyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

I can do something like that but that would be a makeshift arrangement. I want to actually now whats causing this problem and if there is a permanent solution available.

qzydo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
I used to have same trouble with my PC(but only on front port).
the things I tried..
1. Brought a stereo extender.(Donno what it is technically called, but its one with a stereo pin at one end and stereo port/plug(female) at the other end. (Must be stereo no mono)). Used it basicaly as an extender. I assume it solved some loose connections and got good audio for some moths before the same trouble started again. :cry:
2. I build the extender myself the next time and worked fine for long time.
3. If everything fails buy a USB audio adapter.There seems to be 5.1's also.
4. Also u can try a different set of headphones. Does that work??
Bluetooth headphones will work for sure :ange:

These are just work arounds for sure. I would also recommnet dropping by to some service centre and see if they can just replace the sound ports. Might nt be really possible but an enquiry wont hurt.

5. If you have a graphics card capable of HDMI ouput then you can use the HDMI audio device as default device and then seperate audio from that. One cool feature here would be u can use an all new audio driver and hardware(I think). :eek:

I really think its just the problem with the connectors, and its pretty common too I persume :pfff:

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.