[SOLVED] Sound from PC to TV and Home Cinema at the same time.

anastasiu.andrei.paul

Commendable
Aug 16, 2018
Hello guys.
Quick questions for you:
I want to watch the PC image on my TV and the sound on my Home Cinema. I have HDMI ports on TV and Home Cinema. But i only have 1 HDMI port on the GPU.

1. Can i send a cable from TV to Home Cinema, will that send the sound from PC >>>TV>>>Home Cinema? I guess i cannot send like PC >>>Home Cinema >>>> TV.
  2. I have 1 HDMI port on the motherboard that is not used (we use the GPU one). If i use 2 HDMI cables, one from GPU to TV, and one from the MOBO to Home Cinema, will the sound work?
  3. If neither of those work, i will use an SPDIF from an external sound card to my Home Cinema, i have one but it's a hussle to install it every time i want to watch a movie. The PC itself does not have a SPDIF port.

Thanks, have a good one,
Andi

Solution
@anastasiu.andrei.paul
The answer is "it depends".

If your Home Cinema has HDMI passthrough (1, 2, or 3 HDMI ports that are labeled input and 1 that is labeled output), then you can do PC >> Home Cinema >> TV.

If your TV has an ARC (audio return channel, a special HDMI port) port then you can do PC >> TV >> Home Cinema.

If your CPU has an integrated GPU, then you can probably do GPU >> TV and onboard HDMI >> Home Cinema.

Your motherboard might have a SPDIF header. With a very cheap adapter, you could bypass the external sound card.

One last thing ... if your GPU has multiple outputs (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort) you can buy a conversion cable. DVI to HDMI or DP to HDMI are quite cheap.
@anastasiu.andrei.paul

If your Home Cinema has HDMI passthrough (1, 2, or 3 HDMI ports that are labeled input and 1 that is labeled output), then you can do PC >> Home Cinema >> TV.

If your TV has an ARC (audio return channel, a special HDMI port) port then you can do PC >> TV >> Home Cinema.

If your CPU has an integrated GPU, then you can probably do GPU >> TV and onboard HDMI >> Home Cinema.

Your motherboard might have a SPDIF header. With a very cheap adapter, you could bypass the external sound card.

One last thing ... if your GPU has multiple outputs (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort) you can buy a conversion cable. DVI to HDMI or DP to HDMI are quite cheap.

Solution

anastasiu.andrei.paul

Commendable
Aug 16, 2018
@anastasiu.andrei.paul

Thank you kindly for your answer.

My Sony KDL from 2008 most probably does not have the ARC feature.
And my Home Cinema has only one HDMI out port. Therefore, SPDIF from PC to Home Cinema is my only hope.