Sound has disappeared after upgrading my CPU?

qwertzye

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
MOBO: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI (Socket 775)
Sound card: SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Drivers from: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx)
Windows 7 32 bit

Hi,

So I just upgraded my CPU from E6600 to Q6600, prior to that, I updated to the latest BIOS. As I launched into Windows 7, it prompted a restart (I can only assume that a windows update must have installed itself when recognising the CPU (if that is possible?) and must have messed my sound card up) So I restarted, and since then, my sound has disappeared. I have since tried uninstalling all the sound drivers, and reinstalling my sound card drivers, but nothing has changed.

I can still get windows sounds, but thats only if I actually select sound output to be 'Speakers SB X-FI Extreme Audio'. 'Digital audio' and 'Headphones' still no sound. The 3.5mm headphone and audio jack on the tower is also not responding, (I mainly use headphones, so this is the biggest concern).

However, I have plugged into the motherboard's jacks (black, green and orange coloured jacks), and that all works. But problem is, I have a subwoofer, and this mobo doesn't have the 4th connector, so my subwoofer seems a waste..

So other than reinstalling the sound drivers, what else could I try ? Thanks in advance all.

Edit: I have already checked in the default settings for my sounds, so no luck there either.

qwertzye

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015

Well my whole rig is pretty much a junker build, but i'm just using it for now just to save some money, with a DAC, will I be able to plug in headphones?