[SOLVED] Sound: how to record, NOT stream, sound true to how it's heard

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
Have had a sound issue for a long time which is things I record sound far more quiet than they actually are as heard through my headphones and other software. An example would be me recording a small bit of an online stream or a small section of game play on any game, using something like OBS, and when I listen to it the overall sound quality, and particularly volume, is lower than what I actually heard through my headphones.

I have an old MOBO with no sound card. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I am trying to record sounds exactly as I hear them through my headphones. I've tried to research this issue, but all I get are answers about noise cancellation for mics and streaming.

This issue has been bugging me for quite a while, many thanks for any info.

Solution
MOBO is H81M-HDS. Not using a device, trying to record gameplay through OBS.
Your motherboard has the Realtek ALC662 Audio device.
When you record using OBS, an audio source should be selected.

If not selected, OBS might record from any of several sources (device) available by default , such as microphone, webcam mic, headset, etc..
Which audio source is OBS using to record sound?

Also OBS 'Sample rate' (44Hz/48Hz) should match that of the selected audio source.
Have had a sound issue for a long time which is things I record sound far more quiet than they actually are as heard through my headphones and other software. An example would be me recording a small bit of an online stream or a small section of game play on any game, using something like OBS, and when I listen to it the overall sound quality, and particularly volume, is lower than what I actually heard through my headphones.

I have an old MOBO with no sound card. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I am trying to record sounds exactly as I hear them through my headphones. I've tried to research this issue, but all I get are answers about noise cancellation for mics and streaming.

What's the model of the motherboard?
Which sound device are you using to record?
You do not need a dedicated sound card to record audio...the sound controller on the motherboard should be enough.

Last edited:
MOBO is H81M-HDS. Not using a device, trying to record gameplay through OBS.

If not selected, OBS might record from any of several sources (device) available by default , such as microphone, webcam mic, headset, etc..

Also OBS 'Sample rate' (44Hz/48Hz) should match that of the selected audio source.

Solution

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019

I have not tried in quite a while and do not have OBS installed anymore. To my surprise, I found a helpful article that recommends using Audacity's WASAPI function which is akin to Stereo Mix. Thanks for the info, though.

In case you are curious, here is the link: https://www.howtogeek.com/217348/ho...-coming-from-your-pc-even-without-stereo-mix/

I have not tried in quite a while and do not have OBS installed anymore. To my surprise, I found a helpful article that recommends using Audacity's WASAPI function which is akin to Stereo Mix. Thanks for the info, though.

In case you are curious, here is the link: https://www.howtogeek.com/217348/ho...-coming-from-your-pc-even-without-stereo-mix/
Have been using Audacity and those methods of recording for years. Thanks.
I did not mentioned Audacity, since I thought you were interested on using OBS,...as your first post suggests.

Endre

Reputable

Any decent audio recording program (Sound Forge, Adobe Audition, Ableton, FL Studio, etc.) has a “Gain” knob that increases, or decreases the input volume.

TRENDING THREADS