Question Sound isn't working on newly installed used motherboard.

Nov 28, 2019
I installed a used motherboard on my PC and I can not get the sound to work. It doesn't even recognize speakers are plugged in. I tried headphones as well, still no dice. I just asked the previous owner and they said they only used sound through an HDMI cable and yes that works just fine. I tried disabling all HDMI devices, also didn't help. Please help.

Fatal1ty Performance 970 motherboard
Windows 10

Nov 28, 2019
If you go to "Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers" can you tell me what is listed?
Try going to "PC settings > System > Sound" and run Troubleshoot. You can also try looking in "Manage Sound Devices" and "Advanced Sound Options".
Listed under Sound, video and game controllers, "AMD High Definition Audio Device" I've tried updating the drivers for it, uninstalling, restarting computer, reinstalling. Still nothing.

Windows 10 Troubleshooting gave me sound advice such as, "plug in your sound device".

Advanced Sound Options also just says, "No output devices found." And no devices are listed under Manage sound devices.

It sounds as if the onboard Realtek audio chip is not working. I can only suggest uninstalling the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" to see if that helps. If it does not, i'm not sure what else to try.

1. Right click on your AMD High Definition Audio Device and select Uninstall device. 2. Make sure to check the box next to Delete the driver software for this device, and click Uninstall.
  2. After uninstalling, restart your computer, and Windows will reinstall the device and driver for you.

Nov 28, 2019
It sounds as if the onboard Realtek audio chip is not working. I can only suggest uninstalling the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" to see if that helps. If it does not, i'm not sure what else to try.

1. Right click on your AMD High Definition Audio Device and select Uninstall device. 2. Make sure to check the box next to Delete the driver software for this device, and click Uninstall.
  2. After uninstalling, restart your computer, and Windows will reinstall the device and driver for you.
I did all that. But when I restarted the Drivers looked like they were already there. Or does it just install without you noticing right away.

Nov 28, 2019

I put in a sound card and it worked immediately, so it was the onboard audio chip.