[SOLVED] Sound issue in triple monitor setup under Windows 10

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I have three BenQ monitors connected to a Nvidia RTX2080Ti via the included DisplayPort cables. The monitors have built-in speakers. Under Windows 10, I can control which monitor's speaker to use via the speaker icon on the lower right.

Sometimes for unknown reason, static noise were generated when the system produced a sound or when playing videos on youtube. The problem just shows up and disappears randomly. Could have happened to any of the three monitors.

Another issue is that sometimes there is no sound from the speaker when I chose which monitor to use under Windows 10.

Is this a problem with Windows or the monitors? BenQ thinks that the issues could be caused by the GPU not being able to handle three 4K displays directly connected to it. Not sure if this is true or not.

Solution
i9 9900K, EVGA Nvidia RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Z390 Aorus Xtreme rev 1.0 Ultra motherboard, BenQ EX3210U monitor, Windows 10 64-bit
All monitors are connected to the GPU via the included DisplayPort 1.4 cables.
There are three DisplayPorts on my GPU. Just plugged each monitor directly to a DisplayPort port at the back of the GPU, nothing fancy.
EVGA - Product Specs - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Triple + iCX2, 65C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 11G-P4-2487-KR, 11GB GDDR6

From the specs, it seems to use Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec
Z390 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Canada

Another issue is that I am supposed to be able to use the microphone built-in...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How are all of monitors and audio devices connected?

Are you able to provide some sort of sketch or diagram?

My thought is that there may be video and/or audio connections that create a loop of some sort.

Overall, more information is needed.

Hi, I have three BenQ monitors connected to a Nvidia RTX2080Ti via the included DisplayPort cables. The monitors have built-in speakers. Under Windows 10, I can control which monitor's speaker to use via the speaker icon on the lower right.

Sometimes for unknown reason, static noise were generated when the system produced a sound or when playing videos on youtube. The problem just shows up and disappears randomly. Could have happened to any of the three monitors.

Another issue is that sometimes there is no sound from the speaker when I chose which monitor to use under Windows 10.

Is this a problem with Windows or the monitors? BenQ thinks that the issues could be caused by the GPU not being able to handle three 4K displays directly connected to it. Not sure if this is true or not.
In addition please identify the sound chip on your motherboard. There were some problems with Realtek ALC4080 chips if you have one of those.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
i9 9900K, EVGA Nvidia RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Z390 Aorus Xtreme rev 1.0 Ultra motherboard, BenQ EX3210U monitor, Windows 10 64-bit
There are three DisplayPorts on my GPU. Just plugged each monitor directly to a DisplayPort port at the back of the GPU, nothing fancy.
EVGA - Product Specs - EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Triple + iCX2, 65C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 11G-P4-2487-KR, 11GB GDDR6

Another issue is that I am supposed to be able to use the microphone built-in the monitor. However, Windows 10 cannot detect it. Under Settings->Sound->Input, only "Microphone (Stream Streaming Mi..." is listed.
I asked BenQ and they told me to test each monitor individually as they think several of my problems could be that the GPU might not be able to handle three monitors! Tested each monitor individually but no microphone is detected. Static sound occurrence is random so I can't test.

Rather than spending time to enjoy using the expensive monitors, I am just doing beta testing and QC for them.

Last edited:

Another issue is that I am supposed to be able to use the microphone built-in the monitor. However, Windows 10 cannot detect it. Under Settings->Sound->Input, only "Microphone (Stream Streaming Mi..." is listed.
I asked BenQ and they told me to test each monitor individually as they think several of my problems could be that the GPU might not be able to handle three monitors! Tested each monitor individually but no microphone is detected. Static sound occurrence is random so I can't test.

Rather than spending time to enjoy using the expensive monitors, I am just doing beta testing and QC for them.

You may need to have USB connected from the PC to the monitor for the microphone to work. Pretty sure the DP cables alone won't be able to see that hardware.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS