Question Sound muted after few seconds

Apr 5, 2021
Dear All,

I have an "old" Toshiba laptop, Toshiba Satellite L755-1JG. Part no: PSK2YE - 0NM00PHU, Serial: 2c201665W
A few months ago, I have recognized a problem, that when I playing audio or video with Windows Media Player, or with VLC Media Player, the sound goes muted, after few seconds.
When I going to the control panel/devices and re-installing the device, or just disable and then enable, sound comes back, but after few seconds it is going muted again.
  • Operating system: Windows 7 SP1 X64
  • Different version of sound card drivers tried, no success
  • The problem occours at Youtube and other online media pages too
I have been reading many forum topics related to this problem, and some of them says that sound schip goes too hot, and this is the main reason for this problem.
Question then, that why this problem did not occoured in the previous 7-8 years?

If any of you could give a working solution, I would appreciate that.
I love this laptop, it was continously serviced, new battery, 8GB of RAM and so on. Using mainly for Photoshop work, and I do not wanna change it, if it is not necessary.

Thanks for the replies in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see if the laptop has any BIOS updates pending, when you run the serial number across Toshiba's support site? You can use (install)CPU-Z>Motherboard tab, to see what BIOS version you're currently on.

Also, have you tried installing the audio drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Where did you source your drivers for the laptop from? I'm referring to drivers as in, chipset/MEI as well as GPU then audio.

Apr 5, 2021
Hi there,

I just updated my BIOS with the updater downloaded from Toshiba (Dynabook) website, even it was same version (3.60)
I have downloaded from same site the latest driver for Conexant HD Audio.
Same result, few seconds sound played, but after that it is going muted.
I have read an othe thread on a different forum, that this kind of a serial problem with Conexant soundchips, and to resolve the problem, users manually put additional cooling to the sound chip (some metal cooler plate)
They had same situation, that speakers stops working, but external output with headphone still working.
I do not wanna "hack the system" with this kind of soulutions, this PC has been working with Win7 X64 since years. So why the sound chip now goes hot?? Interresting....

ASK THE COMMUNITY