Sound no longer working after installing new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenkins08

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Just got a Sapphire HD 7770. Installed no problem, until I got on and noticed that no sound was coming from my speakers. I've set my speakers as my default audio device. I've also gone on to BIOs and enabled my onboard audio and its still not working. When playing things such as music, it says that something is playing, for instance the green thing is moving up and down to the sound, but nothing comes out of my speakers. My speakers are also not blown out, as i have hooked them up to my iPod and it works fine. Please help, thank you.

jenkins08

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

How would I do that? I've uninstalled and disabled AMD HD Audio, what was installed with the graphics card CD that I got with the graphics card. And it still didn't work because after I rebooted it reinstalled itself. How do I stop that reinstallation?

Dom_79

Distinguished
First make sure there is no AMD program set to automatically update your drivers.

Then you will need to change your windows update settings as follows:
Control Panel->System and Security->Windows Update->Change settings- Under the Important updates header choose the option: Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

Underneath the important updates header there is one called Recommended updates. make sure the box is checked to "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates (this is important as the audio and video drivers are often "recommended updates")

And before you do all this. Did uninstalling the AMD HD audio work? Were you getting sound from your speakers?

Dom_79

Distinguished

To do this you would need to remember what programs you installed off the CD and if they said anything about automatic updates. If you can't remember if they did or not check what programs were installed and see if they have an automatic update option that you can disable (I'm not very familiar with AMD programs). AMD vision control center (if installed) I believe will do auto updates, so check that.

Make sure your onboard sound is not disabled in windows device manager and that the drivers for it are up to date.

jenkins08

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
There is no longer automatic updater for AMD. So that's out of the question. I tried the recommended settings and windows update changes and still nothing. I uninstalled AMD HD Audio completely and it has not reinstalled so far. My onboard sound is enabled through BIOs and my Default device are my speakers. I have no idea what to try next.

Also, not sure if this helps, but there is slight static coming from the speakers. Kind of quiet, and pulses on and off every few seconds. Also, high pitched ringing when plugging headphones into my headphone jack on my case, not my speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.