Sound no longer works after unplugging speakers from monitor

Information System

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I have Logitech Z313 2.1 speakers that I plug into my Asus vg248qe monitor (in the black port, not the green) and after I unplugged them breifly to manage some cables and plugged them back in they no longer work and under sound manager it says that they're not even plugged in, but I double checked and they are in face plugged in and I'm just wondering what else to do. They won't show up no matter which port I plug them into. Here's a picture of my sound manager (with all devices showing)

c14184d078eda95fb3b3d4301c00755f.png

Any advice?

Thanks

Solution
DVI does not carry audio over to the screen. Only HDMI and DisplayPort do that.
During your cable management, you likely changed the cable to DVI on the screen and thus the display lost it's audio input. (and thus, you can't get audio out of the black headphone connector)
The green connector is for audio input, you can buy cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable and plug it from motherboard to the screen and it should work after you select that as default sound device.
Your computer wont see said speakers.
Reason for this is that you likely connect display with either HDMI or Displayport That transfers the sound to the monitor.
https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG248QE/

As show in that link (scroll down a bit) the green one is for audio input to monitor (in case you use DVI and separate 3.5mm cable for audio)
and black is for headphones (although speakers will work too)

Also on your screenshot, default audio output is chosen as S/PDIF which is not what you want. you would want to select the HDMI connection to the monitor as default.

Edit: If you mean that they are not detected even if plugged straight to motherboards audio connectors, then.. things get more iffy.

Information System

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

They work when directly plugged in to the motherboard. Currently using DVI to power both displays. The green is line in, what does that mean? Is that what I should be using for audio?

DVI does not carry audio over to the screen. Only HDMI and DisplayPort do that.
During your cable management, you likely changed the cable to DVI on the screen and thus the display lost it's audio input. (and thus, you can't get audio out of the black headphone connector)
The green connector is for audio input, you can buy cheap 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo cable and plug it from motherboard to the screen and it should work after you select that as default sound device.

Solution

Information System

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Thank you so much. I need the DVI for the 144hz but at least now I know the issue.

Thanks again.