Question Sound not working, maybe fried the audio controller?

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Here I am once again...
So as I said in a previous post, a few days ago my uncle gave me his old laptop (asus l3800s), which came with windows xp home edition preinstalled.
Now the original HDD that came with the laptop is broken, so I replaced it with another one that I had and obviously needed to reinstall windows xp.
As I said in a previous post, I reinstalled the OS like 6 times now dealing with activation and stuff and now my audio isn't working properly, I mean when installing xp, at the last phase of installation where the music starts playing and you go and put in your user name and connecting to the internet I can barely hear the music even with my external speaker. I remember when I first installed xp the sound worked normally, the second time too, but now as said I can barely hear anything.
Is it possible I fried the audio controller somehow? In device manager it showes up as "Intel(r) 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller"
PS: The first time I used xp home edition sp3, 2nd time xp home edition sp2, 3rd xp home edition RTM, 4th xp pro sp2 upgraded to sp3 and now I'm back at xp home edition sp3.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I downloaded the home edition isos from the internet
The pro version is a disc my mom got from her cousin like 16 years ago
I know tomshardware does not offer any "support" for pirated software but nowadays its very hard to get a legit disc because its considered as an abandoned project..
Edit: why would that be a problem if the same discs worked yesterday without any problem?