Question Sound Not working on PC After Fresh Windows Installation

DdosingDosa

Honorable
Jun 19, 2015
So my PC suddenly stopped playing sounds from my speaker. I tried reinstalling NVIDIA audio drivers and that failed. I then did a fresh windows installation, and still nothing. I know when I built this PC, I tried finding one of the cheapest motherboards that I could find: AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0. The PC does not have a dedicated sound card, and so I was thinking that the integrated sound card on the motherboard could be dead. Does anyone agree with that statement? Is there anyway I can confirm that? Are there any other steps or recommendations to fixing the PC before buying something? Thanks.

NVIDIA audio drivers send audio thru GPU to monitor if it has speakers. Your MB has "Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec" chip so you need Realtek drivers to get sound from motherboard. You also may need to go to Control panel . Sound and set Speakers as default output.
Realtek high definition audio driver ver:7560 is driver from here https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/970 Extreme3 R2.0/index.asp#Download

Last edited:

DdosingDosa

Honorable
Jun 19, 2015
NVIDIA audio drivers send audio thru GPU to monitor if it has speakers. Your MB has "Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec" chip so you need Realtek drivers to get sound from motherboard. You also may need to go to Control panel . Sound and set Speakers as default output.
Realtek high definition audio driver ver:7560 is driver from here https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/970 Extreme3 R2.0/index.asp#Download

Thanks a lot. I installed the drivers you posted and double checked to make sure that my speaker was selected as audio output in settings, yet it still didn't work. I just tested to make sure the speakers work on another computer, which they do.

D

Deleted member 14196

you may need to change the sound setting to use the realtek and not the nvidia

https://windowsreport.com/no-sound-nvidia-graphics-drivers-update/
Solution 1 – Change audio output device
Sometimes, GPU drivers will change default audio output device to HDMI instead of speakers or headphones. Luckily, you can easily recover default settings:

1. Right-click Sound icon in the Notification area and open Playback devices.
  2. Highlight preferred device and Set as Default.
  3. Right-click Digital Audio/Monitor/HDMI and select Disablefrom the menu.
  4. Click OK and check for changes.
Once you set your speakers as the default playback device, the issue should be completely resolved.

DdosingDosa

Honorable
Jun 19, 2015
you may need to change the sound setting to use the realtek and not the nvidia

https://windowsreport.com/no-sound-nvidia-graphics-drivers-update/
Solution 1 – Change audio output device
Sometimes, GPU drivers will change default audio output device to HDMI instead of speakers or headphones. Luckily, you can easily recover default settings:

1. Right-click Sound icon in the Notification area and open Playback devices.
  2. Highlight preferred device and Set as Default.
  3. Right-click Digital Audio/Monitor/HDMI and select Disablefrom the menu.
  4. Click OK and check for changes.
Once you set your speakers as the default playback device, the issue should be completely resolved.

Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. The speakers were already set to default playback device. Also, after disabling the other playback sources, audio still didn't work. At this point i am really starting to think that the on-board sound on the motherboard is dead. Do you guys agree? If so, would buying a sound card fix that?

It was a few years ago but I uninstalled the GPU driver package completely, then re-installed it without the Nvidia sound drivers (custom install).
Voila! My PC desktop speakers connected to the Realtek sound jack were up and running again.

It will mean you'll get no audio through HDMI to the monitor speakers but I didn't need that anyway.

DdosingDosa

Honorable
Jun 19, 2015
It was a few years ago but I uninstalled the GPU driver package completely, then re-installed it without the Nvidia sound drivers (custom install).
Voila! My PC desktop speakers connected to the Realtek sound jack were up and running again.

It will mean you'll get no audio through HDMI to the monitor speakers but I didn't need that anyway.

Thanks for your help, but that didn't work unfortunately. Guess I will have to buy either the sound card or the DAC/AMP. Which would you recommend buying. I dont care much about the audio quality.

Last edited: