[SOLVED] Sound of PC turning off sometimes?

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
Hello, I have no clue if I should be concerned or not but im simply curious on a sound from my pc. So like every pc, I have a very suttle humming in my PC. However randomly I get a time when I hear a click, something kind of starts degrading in sound and the computer falls extremely silent and vibrates alot less . It is the exact sound when my pc gets switched off. And it turns back on a few minutes later with the exact same sound my pc makes when it turns on. I have no issues when this happens, I have never had a single issue with my PC but the sound is making me curious and kind of driving me with concerns. My specs are:

GTX1050
R5 2600
16GB 3200MHZ RAM
CX450 PSU
B450M-A

I highly doubt its my PSU because I have never had an issue with it at all in the past. Thanks in advance!

Solution
It could be, yes.
Some systems have a distinct "click" when fully shut down - mine does too, but I have no HDD.

The fact it happens while the system is running suggests the HDD is powering down/parking it's head as it's not in use. That's what it sounds like, but the only way to diagnose that would be to shut down/disconnect the HDD (just SATA power is fine), and then boot/use the system.

If the click persists, then it's coming from somewhere else... If it doesn't, then it's likely the HDD.
Doesn't sound like a 'problem' per se, as an HDD parking it's head is normal operation, but a health check of the drive wouldn't be a bad idea.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It could be, yes.
Some systems have a distinct "click" when fully shut down - mine does too, but I have no HDD.

The fact it happens while the system is running suggests the HDD is powering down/parking it's head as it's not in use. That's what it sounds like, but the only way to diagnose that would be to shut down/disconnect the HDD (just SATA power is fine), and then boot/use the system.

If the click persists, then it's coming from somewhere else... If it doesn't, then it's likely the HDD.
Doesn't sound like a 'problem' per se, as an HDD parking it's head is normal operation, but a health check of the drive wouldn't be a bad idea.

Solution

Forz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
It could be, yes.

Thanks ill see if i have a click while shutting down and turning on my pc without my hdd. And ill check a health test now

TRENDING THREADS