Question Sound on Echo Dot Gen 5 vs Echo Show 5 Gen 2 ?

Dec 11, 2022
I have Echo Dots gen 2 and 3 and the sound is quite mufffled in both. I'm looking to replace one with either a gen 5 Echo Dot or a gen 2 Amazon Show 5. Prices are similar but I really need an improvement in sound to justify it. Will either or both solve the muffled issue? Their are other benefits, screen for the Show, temperature sensor for the echo., but a comparison of the sound is my main concern.

I have Echo Dots gen 2 and 3 and the sound is quite mufffled in both. I'm looking to replace one with either a gen 5 Echo Dot or a gen 2 Amazon Show 5. Prices are similar but I really need an improvement in sound to justify it. Will either or both solve the muffled issue? Their are other benefits, screen for the Show, temperature sensor for the echo., but a comparison of the sound is my main concern.

If the main thing is sound, you can simply pair the thing with a decent bluetooth speaker (JBL Charge series are great and if you buy one used not really expensive), or get the 4th gen Echo Dot with premium sound (a bit pricy compared to just a basic Gen 5). The Gen 5 has a much better sound quality than the Dot 3 (I own both). All-new Echo (4th Gen) | With premium sound, smart home hub, and Alexa | Charcoal (amazon.com)

Speaker comparison, Echo Dot and the Show 5 have pretty much identical speakers. Keep in mind that you may be saving a bit to go with a cheaper device, but for the life of the product and the actual cost difference, another 40-50 for something you will actually like vs what you settle for is really nothing.

Echo Dot (3rd Gen)Echo Dot (5th Gen)Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen)Echo (4th Gen)
PriceFrom: $14.99From: $27.99From: $34.99From: $74.99
Ratings4.7 out of 5 stars (991,280)4.7 out of 5 stars (5,954)4.6 out of 5 stars (140,917)4.7 out of 5 stars (133,910)
Release Year2018202220212020
Alexa built in
Speakers1.6" speaker1.73" front-firing speaker1 x 1.7”3.0" neodymium woofer and dual front-firing 0.8" tweeters
Audio supportLossless High DefinitionLossless High Definition, Dolby audio
Line in/out3.5 mm line out3.5 mm line in/out

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022
Well, I went ahead and bought both the Dot Gen 5, and the Show 5 gen 2 from Target so I could compare myself. As expected from the response the Dot Gen 5 has MUCH better sound then the muffled gen 2 and 3 in my collection. The Show 5 is a bit better than those dots, but its sound is not nearly as good as the Dot Gen 5.

I really haven't found any compelling use in the Show's screen, especially since I also have a Google Nest 7 in the room. I don't use any of this for music, its just for podcasts, news and device control. The muffled sound on the dot 2 and 3 was really not good enough for that., while the dot 5 is and the temperature sensor is a bonus. I'll be returning the Show.