Sound plays But NO SOUND after installed PNY GeForce 9800GT EE DDR3 512mb PCI-e 2.0

KingZZ

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I have a PNY Geforce 9800GT EE DDR3 512mb PCI-e.

My sounds appear to play but no sound comes out.

The problem is on my Windows XP Pro OS.

I am using an 'amazon.co.uk' make dvi to hdmi cable, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack that goes to my tv for the sound i have also removed jack and replaced with pc speakers, i have even tried on another tv.

I have a Gateway GM3032b although its been heavily upgraded, i do have the original motherboard + a 3.4ghz Pentium D

I have changed the original geforce 7300LE 64mb PCI-e

With the new card there is no sound.

I change it back and i get sound again.

what i have done; (inc. lots of restarts in between everything)

reinstalled graphics drivers + sound drivers,
checked for confilcting software,
checked for newer sound drivers (n/a),
checked for and updated to the 335.04 Nvidia driver from the 307.90 driver.
checked the Sounds and Audio devices properties to make sure their still correct.
Ive even pluged a second pair of speakers into the front line out (2nd output).

Ive gone through device manager and checked...
Use this device (enable) DONE
Use audio features on this device (in properties) DONE
Ive also tried ticking the box 'do not map through this device' and restarted then removed as it didnt work. DONE
Drivers are all current and signed

Realtek HD audio onboard mobo

The sound plays but there is no sound, i unplug the cable, it reconises and stops playback

I have checked the bios but there was no point as (and this is where it confuses me)....

I have a multi-boot system all seperate sections they cannot 'see each other'

Instead of winXP at startup i select windows 7 32bit ultimate there is no problems at all.

This card appears to have the abillity to forward my audio through the DVI-HDMI cable with an additional cable internally, i have not done this.

Its very strange indeed. I would appreciate any ideas?

Been awhile since I had a 9800GT on XP.
Just in case you haven't already done this, go to Control Panel>Sound. In the first window make certain you have selected the Nvidia high definition sound. On my machine it shows as an HDMI output, so it might not even show up on yours.
Worth a try.

KingZZ

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

The sounds Realtek HD onboard in my motherboard. It is selected as the device in use.
MS-7248 Motherboard
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/MSI/4001071R/4001071Rnv.shtml

KingZZ

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Im using the realtek onboard sound card on my motherboard which is selected in sound and on device manager, I think it must be something to do with the graphics card only because ive tried so many different things, I cannot think how it can be making the sound not work its bizzare

If I put my older graphics card back in the sound comes back on, or if I boot into windows 7 32 bit the sound works fine, or if I boot win7 64bit the same its fine. (ive got a multi boot system, they wont be causing any problems as their all completely separate)

Plus if I take the audio jack out, the media player stops.

TRENDING THREADS