[SOLVED] Sound popping on bluetooth headset with Asus BT400 dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2019
I'm not sure how to even start getting to the bottom of this issue... any ideas or suggestions welcomed!

The headphones (Sony WH-1000XM3) work perfectly with my iPhone. No distortion, even if I go in another room!

However, when I connect them to my PC, using the ASUS BT400 dongle, there is frequent popping. Kind of like when the speakers first come on, or when someone taps a microphone.

Stuff I tried:
  • changing the USB port. The issue happens whether it's plugged in front or the back. The port used is USB3.0
  • setting the headphones from [Priority on Sound Quality] to [Priority on Stable Connection] . This improves things somewhat, but doesn't remove the problem entirely
Extra info:
  • when I first plugged it in, the keyboard stopped working. I only have a 550W power supply, so maybe it's struggling? Though based on my math, my rig should only use 350-400W max! Re-plugging in the keyboard fixed that (I also removed some USB gadgets I wasn't using)
  • BT400 uses the driver from Asus' website. I am not aware of the headphones needing any drivers.
  • the sound card used is the one on the motherboard, Asus ROG Strix H370-F
  • sometimes it works perfectly, without anything being changed!
  • the only other Bluetooth thing I have is my FitBit, which periodically syncs to my phone (though the popping happens even if I turn bluetooth off on the phone). A different computer in another room has a bluetooth mouse (though it's usually on standby during the day). Nothing else in the apartment uses bluetooth.
So, am I doing something wrong? Is the dongle defective? Is it the power supply? Should I look into something else?

Solution
Sometimes, it's just as simple as the dongle is so short depressed into the USB port of the PC that the connection suffers to the device.

I've had wireless keyboards and mice that started doing funny stuff and dropped the connection because of that. I plugged the dongle into a USB 3.0 male/USB 3.0 female adapter that just made the dongle stick out from the computer giving it the coverage needed to work properly.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Sometimes, it's just as simple as the dongle is so short depressed into the USB port of the PC that the connection suffers to the device.

I've had wireless keyboards and mice that started doing funny stuff and dropped the connection because of that. I plugged the dongle into a USB 3.0 male/USB 3.0 female adapter that just made the dongle stick out from the computer giving it the coverage needed to work properly.

Reactions: nimnen
Solution
Nov 8, 2019

Thanks!

I have a USB 2.0 hub, I'll give it a quick shot with that in the near future, though I suspect that may be worse...

I'll also see about getting an extension cable for the 3.0 one, they're usually pretty cheap.

Reactions: LWFG001
Status
Not open for further replies.