sound problem for some divx videos

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi,
I have no sound when playing certain divx films. This happens both
when I use windows media player, and media jukebox. My first suspect
(after reading other posts on google regarding this) is that this is a
Codec problem. It is definately not a problem with the films
themselves since they work on my buddys PC. We both have windows XP
home.

I downloaded gspot to find more information about the divx files and
codecs that I have. Apparently the files I have problems hearing the
sound from have the audio codec tags
"0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-2 Layer 3", and
"0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3".
gspot also told me I have 3 codecs installed that can handle this.

Having read that some other people on the newsforums have had with
codecs interfering with each other, I decided to try remove some of
the codecs. I did this by going to control panel -> Sounds and Audio
Devices -> hardware -> audio drivers.

I disabled 2 of the 3 audio codecs that gspot said could be handle the
divx files. The 3rd codec was not listed there and I could not find
out how to disable it. So now I only have one codec remaining and it
is named "MPEG level 3 decoder". The problem still exists...

Does anybody have any tips on how I can proceed?

One extra bit of information ios that when I "render" the files in
Gspot, it does gve the imnformation about the video path (e.g. video
path: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> DivX Decoder Filter --> (R)) but for
the audio path it lists nothing) can this be the problem? How can I
fix it?
Thanks in advance to any help I can get on this.
Best regards,
Rolf
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Rolf Schoyen wrote:

> Hi,
> I have no sound when playing certain divx films. This happens both
> when I use windows media player, and media jukebox. My first suspect
> (after reading other posts on google regarding this) is that this is a
> Codec problem. It is definately not a problem with the films
> themselves since they work on my buddys PC. We both have windows XP
> home.
>
> I downloaded gspot to find more information about the divx files and
> codecs that I have. Apparently the files I have problems hearing the
> sound from have the audio codec tags
> "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-2 Layer 3", and
> "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3".
> gspot also told me I have 3 codecs installed that can handle this.
>
> Having read that some other people on the newsforums have had with
> codecs interfering with each other, I decided to try remove some of
> the codecs. I did this by going to control panel -> Sounds and Audio
> Devices -> hardware -> audio drivers.
>
> I disabled 2 of the 3 audio codecs that gspot said could be handle the
> divx files. The 3rd codec was not listed there and I could not find
> out how to disable it. So now I only have one codec remaining and it
> is named "MPEG level 3 decoder". The problem still exists...
>
> Does anybody have any tips on how I can proceed?
>
> One extra bit of information ios that when I "render" the files in
> Gspot, it does gve the imnformation about the video path (e.g. video
> path: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> DivX Decoder Filter --> (R)) but for
> the audio path it lists nothing) can this be the problem? How can I
> fix it?
> Thanks in advance to any help I can get on this.
> Best regards,
> Rolf

You probaly have a really old file. Is it one you downloaded or created
yourself?

Does it have to play in Windows Media Player?

If not, go to http://www.videolan.org/ and download the VLC player.

If that doesn't work, do a search on the Nimo codec pack.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<413A2C44.7753F8E8@hotmail.com>...
> Rolf Schoyen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have no sound when playing certain divx films. This happens both
> > when I use windows media player, and media jukebox. My first suspect
> > (after reading other posts on google regarding this) is that this is a
> > Codec problem. It is definately not a problem with the films
> > themselves since they work on my buddys PC. We both have windows XP
> > home.
> >
> > I downloaded gspot to find more information about the divx files and
> > codecs that I have. Apparently the files I have problems hearing the
> > sound from have the audio codec tags
> > "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-2 Layer 3", and
> > "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3".
> > gspot also told me I have 3 codecs installed that can handle this.
> >
> > Having read that some other people on the newsforums have had with
> > codecs interfering with each other, I decided to try remove some of
> > the codecs. I did this by going to control panel -> Sounds and Audio
> > Devices -> hardware -> audio drivers.
> >
> > I disabled 2 of the 3 audio codecs that gspot said could be handle the
> > divx files. The 3rd codec was not listed there and I could not find
> > out how to disable it. So now I only have one codec remaining and it
> > is named "MPEG level 3 decoder". The problem still exists...
> >
> > Does anybody have any tips on how I can proceed?
> >
> > One extra bit of information ios that when I "render" the files in
> > Gspot, it does gve the imnformation about the video path (e.g. video
> > path: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> DivX Decoder Filter --> (R)) but for
> > the audio path it lists nothing) can this be the problem? How can I
> > fix it?
> > Thanks in advance to any help I can get on this.
> > Best regards,
> > Rolf
>
> You probaly have a really old file. Is it one you downloaded or created
> yourself?
>
> Does it have to play in Windows Media Player?
>
> If not, go to http://www.videolan.org/ and download the VLC player.
>
> If that doesn't work, do a search on the Nimo codec pack.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your response! I just installed the "VLC media player",
and the films work fine when played using this application!!!

I find it strange that the files do not work in windows media player,
though. Do you agree with my theory that it is because of a wrong
codec? I could of course install the nimo codec pack, but from what I
understand simply adding codecs can create more problems than it
resolves. Since Gspot told me I had 3 codecs that were good for these
divx films I assume that it is something wrong with the settings in my
windows XP, just wish I knew what. I also find it strange that
windows did not give me an option to disable the third codec, maybe it
is because windows comes with some default codecs?

Finally, back to the answer to your question: The files that this
happens to comes from several different sources: some I downloaded,
and some I copied from a friend (they work on his PC, and he uses
windows media player). Most of the files are are less than one year
old.

Again, thanks for yuour help!
best regards,
rolf
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Rolf Schoyen wrote:

> Keith Clark <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<413A2C44.7753F8E8@hotmail.com>...
> > Rolf Schoyen wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I have no sound when playing certain divx films. This happens both
> > > when I use windows media player, and media jukebox. My first suspect
> > > (after reading other posts on google regarding this) is that this is a
> > > Codec problem. It is definately not a problem with the films
> > > themselves since they work on my buddys PC. We both have windows XP
> > > home.
> > >
> > > I downloaded gspot to find more information about the divx files and
> > > codecs that I have. Apparently the files I have problems hearing the
> > > sound from have the audio codec tags
> > > "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-2 Layer 3", and
> > > "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3".
> > > gspot also told me I have 3 codecs installed that can handle this.
> > >
> > > Having read that some other people on the newsforums have had with
> > > codecs interfering with each other, I decided to try remove some of
> > > the codecs. I did this by going to control panel -> Sounds and Audio
> > > Devices -> hardware -> audio drivers.
> > >
> > > I disabled 2 of the 3 audio codecs that gspot said could be handle the
> > > divx files. The 3rd codec was not listed there and I could not find
> > > out how to disable it. So now I only have one codec remaining and it
> > > is named "MPEG level 3 decoder". The problem still exists...
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any tips on how I can proceed?
> > >
> > > One extra bit of information ios that when I "render" the files in
> > > Gspot, it does gve the imnformation about the video path (e.g. video
> > > path: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> DivX Decoder Filter --> (R)) but for
> > > the audio path it lists nothing) can this be the problem? How can I
> > > fix it?
> > > Thanks in advance to any help I can get on this.
> > > Best regards,
> > > Rolf
> >
> > You probaly have a really old file. Is it one you downloaded or created
> > yourself?
> >
> > Does it have to play in Windows Media Player?
> >
> > If not, go to http://www.videolan.org/ and download the VLC player.
> >
> > If that doesn't work, do a search on the Nimo codec pack.
>
> Hi Keith,
> Thanks for your response! I just installed the "VLC media player",
> and the films work fine when played using this application!!!
>
> I find it strange that the files do not work in windows media player,
> though. Do you agree with my theory that it is because of a wrong
> codec? I could of course install the nimo codec pack, but from what I
> understand simply adding codecs can create more problems than it
> resolves. Since Gspot told me I had 3 codecs that were good for these
> divx films I assume that it is something wrong with the settings in my
> windows XP, just wish I knew what. I also find it strange that
> windows did not give me an option to disable the third codec, maybe it
> is because windows comes with some default codecs?
>
> Finally, back to the answer to your question: The files that this
> happens to comes from several different sources: some I downloaded,
> and some I copied from a friend (they work on his PC, and he uses
> windows media player). Most of the files are are less than one year
> old.
>
> Again, thanks for yuour help!
> best regards,
> rolf

My experience with G-Spot is that it's not a very good tool. It can't detect "out of spec" files.

For instance, I encoded some Xvid files in Linux with a buggy version of Lame (MP3 encoding tool -
http://lame.sourceforge.net/) and while G-Spot said they were fine, in fact they refused to play at all
in Windows until I installed the latest version of Lame in Linux and re-encoded the files.

The reason your files play in VLC is that it does it's own decoding without relying on any codecs in
Windows. It's a sweet little player. VLC is a great troubleshooting tool to go with G-Spot, because if
VLC won't play the file then there truly is something wrong.

Anyway, yes, the reason that Windows Media player can't play the file is because you don't have the
proper codec installed on your machine.

Go into Device Manager and look and see what codecs are listed, and then compare the list with what's
reported on your friend's PC.

A lot of really old files used a version of Windows audio (v2, I think) that's no longer supported. A
friend of mine had some old Divx files he'd downloaded a couple years back that were that way and
installing the Nimo codec pack fixed his problem.

To get on a soapbox and rant for a bit, send a message to the clowns at Divx.com that spyware and
proprietary codecs are unacceptable. If you have the free, open source and open standard Xvid codec
and VirtualDub then you can make files that are at least as good as any Divx files and will play back
on any system with the Divx or Xvid codecs as well as the new set-top DVD players. End of soapbox rant.
;->

http://www.koepi.org/

http://www.xvid.org/

http://www.virtualdub.org/

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-26.shtml
 

Similar threads