SOUND PROBLEM

The sound on my computer has recently become very distorted. I get the
feeling this is tied up with Direct X 9c but I can't be sure when that was
installed. I have tried system restore but that fails every time, even to a
restore point I created myself about a month ago. Can anyone tell me how to
restore Direct X to an earlier version?

peter

Hi,

Nohope, you can try to re-install DirectX 9.0C runtime.
Direct X is backward compatible with previous versions.
See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/productinfo/faq/default.htm
I would suggest you to download and install the latest XP compatible drivers
for your sound card.

However, try run DXDIAG to analyse your OS, especiallly for your sound device.
Start / Run and type DXDIAG, press Enter key, press the appropriate keys to
complete the test.

For failing of the restore feature, your restore files may be corrupted.
Go to device manager and stop the restore feature. Reboot and then
re-activate the restore feature and then reboot again.

Peter