Question sound through controller but not through computer itself

MattyJRule

Honorable
Nov 7, 2014
Hello there,

I have been using a headphone/mic combo since I upgraded my computer. Everything was working fine till a few days ago when the sound through my headphones began to get choppy/static and would cut out. Now it doesn't work at all. The device does shows up in playback devices.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, updated drivers and played around with the sound settings all to no avail. The funny thing is, when I plug this headphone into my ps4 controller (connected via cable) sound plays perfectly. Could this be a problem with the actual jack where you plug the headphones into?

Please any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

MattyJRule

Honorable
Nov 7, 2014
The motherboard that I have is the MSI Z390 TOMAHAWK MAINBOARD. There is a port for a mic at the back but no audio/green port.

EDIT: the case that i have is COUGAR GEMINI S CASE, and there is a headphone and mic input at the top in the front which is where i have been plugging it in.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The motherboard that I have is the MSI Z390 TOMAHAWK MAINBOARD. There is a port for a mic at the back but no audio/green port.

It's not green, but there is audio ports on the rear IO.
1024.png

MattyJRule

Honorable
Nov 7, 2014
As an idiot who knows nothing about computers, I did plug the jack into everything it could fit, including all 5 ports at the right hand side of that image, and still no audio.

Edit: I just did a double check with all ports on the back, and the headphones are not picked up when plugged into any of them.

MattyJRule

Honorable
Nov 7, 2014
I just when into device manager and selected check for driver updates automatically. I have never installed one manually before. I will try install one from that link you sent and let you know. Thank you for your help so far!