[SOLVED] Sound Woes

aidevelopment

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018
I've been putting up with my sound set up for a few years, and I finally decided to do something about it.

Windows 10 64 bit latest udpate
990FXA-UD3 onboard sound

5.1 surround system, works fine in the sound control panel, but in any other application the surround sound doesn't work properly, like the channels get mixed/crossed.

So, bought a PCI ASUS Xonar DG. BSOD when installing drivers, both from ASUS and community drivers. Returned it.

Bought a PCIe Sound Blaster Audigy FX. Confident the PCIe slot works as I have a working WLAN card to test.

Powered up, sounds good, installed driver + software from Creative and audio is gone.

Uninstalled software and rolled back the driver, audio still gone. Went back to onboard, audio (therefore speakers) work again.

Moved the card to a different PCIe slot. Exact same scenario. Audio, Install driver, no audio.

Major problem being that the audio doesn't come back, even after removing the device (and driver) from device manager, restarting, scanning for new hardware, restarting. To be more specific, the device shows in device manager, but only disconnected headphone option shows in sound control panel, where as originally it had the main device as well.

So, what the hell is going on? I've never had much luck with surround sound (only gotten optical devices to work), but this is getting ridiculous.

How do I get this card to put out sound properly?

Solution
D
There is a much better option instead of using on board sound or PCI sound cards. Get yourself a good little usb dac/amp and enjoy great sound. The Schiit Fulla is a great choice. I have a Fulla at work and I have a Magni and Modi Multibit combo at home. They are absolutely fantastic and they always work
D

Deleted member 14196

There is a much better option instead of using on board sound or PCI sound cards. Get yourself a good little usb dac/amp and enjoy great sound. The Schiit Fulla is a great choice. I have a Fulla at work and I have a Magni and Modi Multibit combo at home. They are absolutely fantastic and they always work

Solution