Sound won't switch when unplugging my headphone, or plugging it in.

andrewfmorton

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I just built a new computer (first time build) and I'm having some problems with my headset. My sound by default plays through my ASUS monitor that has speakers, hooked up via HDMI from my graphics card. My headset plugs into the front of my case into separate headphone and microphone ports. Upon plugging the headset in sound continued to come from my monitor, but realtek audio manager noticed it being plugged in. I then set my headphones (called "Speakers") to default in the audio manager and the sound switched. After unplugging my headset the microphone portion of my headset disappeared, but the headphone portion did not and sound levels were still registered in the windows 8 playback sound options with no sound coming from anywhere. Any idea of how to fix this?

Biggie Dill

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
U have to go to where u turn the volume up and the click on the speaker go a box will open Witch is speaker properties click on the device usage and then click on enable it and then your head phones will work...... Jr

Nicholas Mathura

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I installed realtek drivers then uninstalled VIA drivers i got with my motherboard CD. Windows update installed any missing drivers for me and this solved the problem. My headphones and HDMI volume started switching automatically again when i pluged it in and unplugged my headphones. Ensure that the speakers are not disabled and set as your default device under device playback (right click your speaker icon at the bottom right of your screen)

Jul 28, 2018

It seems you need to change speaker from speaker properties. This may help : No Sound after Unplugging Headphones in Windows 10