Question Soundbar Positioning Question

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I have wall mounted my 55-inch TV on a mount with an arm which allows it to extend out between 15 and 16 inches from the wall. I have also installed two free floating shelves below the TV. The top shelf is between 5 and 6 inches below the TV and the bottom shelf is 6 inches below the top shelf. Both shelves are 48 x 10 x 2 inches in dimensions. The soundbar is an LG SJ4R. It is 2 inches tall. I intend to place the soundbar on the top shelf and extend the mount from the wall while watching TV. This setup is in my bedroom and I will be watching the TV from my bed. Since the TV will extend out further than the shelf (shelf 10 inches and TV mount between 15 and 16 inches from the wall), will the TV block the sound from the soundbar despite the bottom of the TV being 3 to 4 inches higher than the soundbar in terms of elevation? If the answer is yes then I will either place flat pieces of wood under the rear portion of the soundbar to angle its sound output downward or place the soundbar on the bottom shelf ( I would also appreciate your recommendations on these two options if they are necessary to get better sound). I initially thought 6 inches of space between the bottom of the TV and top shelf would be enough, but after physically looking it over after installation, I am not sure about the clearance for the soundbar audio to travel toward where I am sitting. I have not yet setup the soundbar for testing yet, but I would appreciate your input so I can avoid the headache of having to rearrange cables on the home theater setup if you guys think I have to do some repositioning . Thanks in advance.

Soundbars like that generally are fairly directional with their audio, I doubt the TV would impact sound all that much.
However, only you can say for sure by testing it.

That being said, place the soundbar closest to ear level, whichever shelf that is. The general rule of thumb in home audio is tweeters at ear level.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Thank you for your reply. I will be finishing and testing my setup by tomorrow. I have only one other question related to my setup. I have wall mounted the rear speakers of my LG SJ4R sound system. I noticed shortly after mounting them that the right rear speaker is a little lower in mounting elevation than the left rear speaker by an inch or two. The mounts for the speakers are mounted to the drywall using special plastic screw holders ( I am not a tool expert and am unfamiliar with there actual tool names). Cosmetically, I would assume this would not be an issue since the speakers will be behind me. My question is, would this slight difference in elevation cause a noticeable difference in sound quality, output, or perception between the two rear speakers when in use? My room dimensions are roughly 11ft x 9ft x 8ft. Thanks again.

I highly doubt it would be all that noticeable, especially since you havent heard them any other way.
Dry wall anchors (the plastic you mentioned) are very hard to remove without causing damage, so either leave it as is or buy more at your hardware store of choice.

TRENDING THREADS