Question Soundblaster Play 3 on Windows 7 - - - - audio keeps switching between left and right ears ?

realflow100

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I have a creative sound blaster play 3 plugged into my computers usb port. and my audio keeps switching every few seconds between each ear! (Wearing headphones plugged into the sound blaster play 3's 3.5mm aux headphone out)
Why is this happening? I never noticed it until this night. it just started doing it. Even after a computer restart. its still happening. and I can't listen to anything. it sometimes makes sharp clicking noises as it switches sides.

Even when I drag the balance to one side in audio control panel. it STILL SWITCHES SIDES!!

I disabled all possible audio enhancements. even in the audio software itself.

I have no extra software running on my pc at all. Malwarebytes isnt detecting any threats either.

What is this?? Is my computer really messed up or something or is my usb sound card dying?

Does not happen with computers built-in aux 3.5mm jacks... maybe the usb sound card is faulty. (Possibly sustained damage when my other computers psu killed the motherboard. and killed itself at the same time.)
but thats the strangest fault i could ever imagine something getting.

Here are the specs to my build;
1080p 24.5" dell freesync/gsync gaming monitor 240hz IPS
Dead motherboard. Waiting on new mobo and case to arrive. : (
intel i7 3770k
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1650 4GB LP
32GB DDR3 1600mhz patriot viper III ram
256GB SSD + 500GB HDD

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to try reinstalling the chipset/USB drivers, then try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the USB driven sound card. Manually install your drivers, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your audio equipment? As for your motherboard, make and model of said board? BIOS version for said motherboard?

realflow100

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I tried all of that and I'm pretty sure the card is developing a fault. it happens across multiple pc's now. i'm just going to discard it and use onboard soundcard/audio for the time being. oh well.