SoundBlasterX AE-5 Not Recognized On Cold Boots....

May 22, 2018
Hello!

I put together a new computer, and I'm having issues with my AE-5 Soundblaster card.

I have a Gigabyte H370M D3H Motherboard, and the Soundblaster will not get recognized on a cold boot. So, when I first start the computer up, the card won't be recognized. It says there is no sound device installed.

I have to reset the computer a single time, and then it recognizes the card.

I have tried setting Fast Boot to "Off", I have tried setting CSM Support to "Enabled" to support the Legacy Boot process, I have tried setting the Storage Boot Controller, AND the PCI-E devices to Legacy Boot, so that they support it as well.

All has not worked. I'm out of ideas and possibly will need to return the card.

Any thoughts or can you help?

It was suggested to me to go here:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292971-pcie-link-state-power-management-turn-off-windows.html

...and disable that, however that appears to be for laptops and not desktops? Any ideas?

May 22, 2018

On the cold boots, no, it's not. When I reboot the machine, then it becomes listed. If I then shut the computer down, and then restart it...it's no longer listed again. I have to select reboot for it to recognize it.

did you turn off the onboard sound card in the bios. if not the mb may not have free memory or irq at cold boot. make sure your mb has the newest bios. your mb as is a small form factor the main video slot and the small pci slot are linked. in the bios if there irq for printer and serial port turn them off see if your error stops. if not see if you can lock that small pci slot irq. if you cant contact the mb vendor and soundblaster speak with eng support for both let them known the card at cold post is using the same irq and memory range and is not working.

If it is not being used, try installing the sound card in the 2nd x16 slot to see if that makes any difference.
Does the Soundblaster AE-5 card have the latest driver released May 3rd 2018? (BXAE5_PCDRV_L13_3_2_21_0)

May 22, 2018

I'll certainly try that. I'll report back my findings.

May 22, 2018

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I'll also check for the latest driver as well.

May 22, 2018
This worked!

Check in the Windows Control panel under power options. Use the Action Center icon down by the clock, then All Settings, System, Power and Sleep. On the right side use the Additional Power Settings link. When that control panel opens up choose the link on the left that says Choose what the Power Button does. On this menu page make sure Fast Startup is not checked (if it is an option that is shown) If it is there and checked use the change options link and uncheck it.