[SOLVED] Soundcard and front panel jack

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
Im looking for very simple answer to a very simple question so here it is:
I can get a old gaming sound blaster card from a friend for very little $$ but i mostly play video games using headset connected to the front panel of pc the soundcard has no port to connect frontpanel sound cable on it so wat im askin is do soundcards work on headset with connecting to front panel even if front panel sound cable is connected to motherboard?

Solution
no.
the soundcard is it's own dedicated audio processor, it does not communicate through motherboard jacks/headers.
same if you plug a video cable into your motherboard HDMI/DP ports, your dedicated graphics card could not communicate through that.

you can just use an extension cable and connect to the rear if your cable is too short.

but what type of headset is this that you would want/need to connect to a dedicated sound card?
you wouldn't get any better sound quality than your average modern motherboard could provide.
no.
the soundcard is it's own dedicated audio processor, it does not communicate through motherboard jacks/headers.
same if you plug a video cable into your motherboard HDMI/DP ports, your dedicated graphics card could not communicate through that.

you can just use an extension cable and connect to the rear if your cable is too short.

but what type of headset is this that you would want/need to connect to a dedicated sound card?
you wouldn't get any better sound quality than your average modern motherboard could provide.

Reactions: Poorsigmaguy
Solution

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
no.

Right thats what i heard i was just adding soundcard because i thought it would look cool on motherboard,, the motherboard is gigabyte ga ep 45 ud3p in brand new condition (i know its a very old motherboard but i still love it),, so u mean i should look for a sound card that has a port to connect front panel sound cables in soundcard right??

u mean i should look for a sound card that has a port to connect front panel sound cables in soundcard right?
well, if it's only for aesthetics and you don't actually get any improved sound quality then you really don't need it connected at all.
just have it there for others to see i guess and continue using your dedicated onboard sound as you have been.

i was just adding soundcard because i thought it would look cool on motherboard
The case is old dell XPS 630i
Then - why discrete sound card would be of any importance there.
You have a closed case there - no windows or anything. Your sound card is not visible.

How can it look cool, if it is not visible inside your pc case?

s-l500.jpg

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
It might sound dumb 😂 but i like mobo slot full of chips i have also add a wifi card in one of pci slot but still sound card is optional i was getting it for less than 5$ thats why i was adding it but it seems sound card is of no use but what I don't understand is why there are so many gaming sound cards out there?? Is there any difference in sound i also have a hp z620 with e5 1680 v2 very good gaming performance,,was thinking of adding a mid range gaming sound card in it but if there's no big difference in sound then i m not wasting money

was thinking of adding a mid range gaming sound card in it but if there's no big difference in sound then i m not wasting money
quite a few years ago a good soundcard may offer surround options that weren't regularly available, higher bit rates, and/or higher frequency than your average motherboard.
but these days even some of the cheapest motherboards out there usually have a pretty decent onboard audio processor with digital optical output, surround, etc included.

unless you're doing high end studio work a good soundcard just isn't necessary anymore and even then it may not be in a lot of situations.

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
quite a few years ago a good soundcard may offer surround options that weren't regularly available, higher bit rates, and/or higher frequency than your average motherboard.
but these days even some of the cheapest motherboards out there usually have a pretty decent onboard audio processor with digital optical output, surround, etc included.

unless you're doing high end studio work a good soundcard just isn't necessary anymore and even then it may not be in a lot of situations.
Looks like soundcards turning obsolete thank u everyone for ur response

D

Deleted member 14196

Not really. Sound cards can sound better than onboard audio and you have no electronic chatter. Get a good set of headphones to test the sound card audio. It might blow you away. You’ll generally have higher power output to drive better headphones as well