Question Soundcard has worse static than cheap USB Sound"card"

Macul153

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
The time has come again to ask for help from lord Tom. I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX (the 5.1 version) Soundcard probably a year or so ago. Before that I was using a cheap USB sound"card" (It was seven bucks and about twice the size of my thumbnail)
I'm using a modmic and I get SERIOUS static on the soundcard, plugged directly into the soundcard or to the front panel passthroughs. I've changed the PCI slot it's in aswell with literally no difference. All the while the USB soundcard takes away all the static in my microphone. I hate to buy a soundcard and not use it, I know it has to do with it being INSIDE the computer, but I've also read stories of people buying cheaper and unshielded soundcards similar to mine and it eliminating the static entirely. I'm curious why this is, what a cheap internal soundcard is even for, and what the best option for reducing static in the mic is in general. (The sound in my A-50xs is marginally better with the internal soundcard.)

Thanks for the replies in advance!

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
The time has come again to ask for help from lord Tom. I bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX (the 5.1 version) Soundcard probably a year or so ago. Before that I was using a cheap USB sound"card" (It was seven bucks and about twice the size of my thumbnail)
I'm using a modmic and I get SERIOUS static on the soundcard, plugged directly into the soundcard or to the front panel passthroughs. I've changed the PCI slot it's in aswell with literally no difference. All the while the USB soundcard takes away all the static in my microphone. I hate to buy a soundcard and not use it, I know it has to do with it being INSIDE the computer, but I've also read stories of people buying cheaper and unshielded soundcards similar to mine and it eliminating the static entirely. I'm curious why this is, what a cheap internal soundcard is even for, and what the best option for reducing static in the mic is in general. (The sound in my A-50xs is marginally better with the internal soundcard.)

Thanks for the replies in advance!
Is there any way you can use another cable to test if it’s the cable?