Sounds issues on P7P55D-E LX

zelgath

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I'm running VIA's VT1708s audio on an Asus P7P55D-E LX board. The last asus driver update was the V6.0.1.7500 drivers. When I use the asus ones I get a popping noise everytime windows boots (win7 64bit). It happens when the four colors fly together to make the windows logo. Also, if I haven't played any sound for a while the next time I play a sound in windows the popping happens again. It's one quick pop and sound works fine after that.

When I install newer drivers from Via I still have the popping issue and in addition I lose my front right speaker. That is, no sound comes from the front right speaker in windows, games, or the via Audio Deck speaker test. I'm currently running the 8700A drivers from the viaarena forums. I've also tried the 7900A drivers from via and had the same issue. When I test my speakers in the windows sound configuration utility with the 8700 drivers the front right output is sent to the rear right. In the via speaker utility I get no sound at all when testing front right.

I've never gotten sound from the sub with any of the speaker tests or driver combinations but it does work when playing games/music.

Is the popping a driver thing or is the board defective?

ETA: If i disable speaker fill in HD Audio Deck the sound for front right isn't sent to rear right in the windows speaker test.

System
Asus P7P55D-E LX (BIOS 1301)
Intel Core i5 760
4Gb G.Skill Eco RAM
Power Color Radeon HD 5850
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

zelgath

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
After playing around with the speaker cords a bit i think my front right jack on the sub is failing. I can get the sound back by tipping the sub on its front or side or by jiggling the cords. The FR speaker itself works fine in any of the other jacks. I guess I need some new speakers. Anyone have any suggestions? Can i get decent 5.1 for $100 or less?

I'm pretty sure the popping sound is a motherboard issue though so that question remains outstanding.

68rustang

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I am having the same popping sound issue with a P7P55D-E board. Did you ever find a solution?

System
Asus P7P55D-E
Intel Core i5 760
8GB RAM
Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

zelgath

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I never fixed this completely. It seems to be caused by the audio chipset being put into power saving mode if you don't play audio for a few minutes. There are some registry keys you can edit to disable this. The popping noise will happen once at startup but won't happen anymore after that.

Here's a thread discussing it over on the via forums
http://www.viaarena.com/forums/showthread.php?p=255659

Here's the page from microsoft about the registry keys you can change
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff536193.aspx

I'm pretty sure I set ConservationIdleTime, PerformanceIdleTime, and IdlePowerState to all zeroes to get it to stop happenening.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I have VIA 1828S on my motherboard ( P7P55D ). I have the popping noise only once when Windows ( 7 x64 ) is starting from cold state. This I consider normal. No popping noise other times. This could be due to the fact that I have C-STATE disabled in BIOS. If you have this setting enabled in BIOS, you may try disabling it and see if you still get popping noise after you have not played sound for a while.

TRENDING THREADS