[SOLVED] Sounds stupid, but my HDD seems to boot Windows 10 at fast speeds.

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
I'd like to know if it's just my HDD in general since it's a WD 7200 RPM. I'd like to know the science behind it or is it some Windows 10 function that I haven't heard about since my boot times are 20-30 seconds and I have a lot of stuff stored into the drive.

Solution
No, but looking at my power options, it seems that I had Fast Startup checked.

Yep that was it.

"When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular shut down. Since applying new system updates often requires a shutdown, you may not be able to apply updates and turn your computer off. Restart is unaffected, though, so it still performs a full cold shutdown and restart of your system. If a shutdown doesn’t apply your updates, a restart still will."

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? Even if the drive is rated for 7200RPM, I've had drives that booted to GUI in 1 minute or more. That being said, please pass on the model to your WD drive.

For added measure, add you specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

DexterQ

Commendable
Sep 10, 2019
Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? Even if the drive is rated for 7200RPM, I've had drives that booted to GUI in 1 minute or more. That being said, please pass on the model to your WD drive.

For added measure, add you specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Acer TC-704
Pentium N3700
2gb Ram

WD500AAKX-22ERMA0

Windows 10 Home 1803

Just simply would like how it's possible since even those specs are laughably bad.

Reactions: brokeBuilder2019
No, but looking at my power options, it seems that I had Fast Startup checked.

Yep that was it.

"When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular shut down. Since applying new system updates often requires a shutdown, you may not be able to apply updates and turn your computer off. Restart is unaffected, though, so it still performs a full cold shutdown and restart of your system. If a shutdown doesn’t apply your updates, a restart still will."

Solution