Source dedicated server requirements

Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so will
i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
advice is much appreciated.

TIA
:)

You don't need that much of a machine to act as a server... I run one with an AMD XP 2000
cpu, 256 megs of RAM on an all-in-one MSI MB... The main thing is your DSL connection...
Mine is 1500/500 and will handle 12 players pretty well... I don't need to network since
my ISP will allow 3 PCs to be connected at the same time...

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0000, "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
>server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
>servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
>alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
>have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
>pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so will
>i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
>base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
>advice is much appreciated.
>
>TIA
>:)

my dsl is 750/256 but i only want 6 players max on it. if i use a base unit
like yours and my main pc at the same time will it compromise the gameplay
alot?
"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
> You don't need that much of a machine to act as a server... I run one with
> an AMD XP 2000
> cpu, 256 megs of RAM on an all-in-one MSI MB... The main thing is your DSL
> connection...
> Mine is 1500/500 and will handle 12 players pretty well... I don't need to
> network since
> my ISP will allow 3 PCs to be connected at the same time...
>
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0000, "Martin Pick"
> <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
>>server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
>>servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
>>alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
>>have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
>>pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so
>>will
>>i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
>>base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
>>advice is much appreciated.
>>
>>TIA
>>:)

I think it would run but I'm not an expert at this... I am but an egg...:)

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:08:07 -0000, "Martin Pick" <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>my dsl is 750/256 but i only want 6 players max on it. if i use a base unit
>like yours and my main pc at the same time will it compromise the gameplay
>alot?
>"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
>> You don't need that much of a machine to act as a server... I run one with
>> an AMD XP 2000
>> cpu, 256 megs of RAM on an all-in-one MSI MB... The main thing is your DSL
>> connection...
>> Mine is 1500/500 and will handle 12 players pretty well... I don't need to
>> network since
>> my ISP will allow 3 PCs to be connected at the same time...
>>
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:43:39 -0000, "Martin Pick"
>> <mpick@mpick.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello, all. What i`m thinking of doing is building a second pc to run as a
>>>server for 4-6 players for HL2:DM. Not that i don`t like playing all the
>>>servers out there it`s just that me and some mates like a private matchup
>>>alot of the time and this is more practical for us than a lan game. What
>>>have people found to be the minimum requirements to run a dedicated server
>>>pc? it`ll be networked to my main pc to share my dsl connection too so
>>>will
>>>i lose too much bandwidth this way? Do you think a kvm switch and a modest
>>>base unit would suffice? I`ve never networked two pc`s together so any
>>>advice is much appreciated.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>:)

TRENDING THREADS